Women’s History Month: Five influential women you didn’t know were from Lincoln

From a Paralympic medalist to a BAFTA Fellowship winner, these five inspirational women are all from Lincoln

March marks the start of Women’s History Month, a  month long celebration recognising the contributions women have made to historical events. The commemoration first began in 1978 as “Women’s History day” and was then championed to be recognised as a national week in 1980 and then a month in 1987.

To promote the celebration of women – here are five inspirational women from Lincoln!

Sophie Wells

Sophie is a British para-equestrian. She won three medals at the 2012 Summer Paralympics, two golds and one silver at the 2016 Rio Paralympics, and most recently she won Team Gold and Individual Silver at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics.

Sophie was born in Lincoln and even studied Sport and Exercise Science at the University of Lincoln. However, her degree was cut short when she left in her second year to focus on the London 2012 Paralympics.

Sophie was born with amniotic band syndrome, leaving her with little to no feeling and movement in her feet and the loss of several fingers.

You may have since the golden post box outside the Magna Carta pub in the Cathedral Quarter – this is to recognise Sophie’s achievements!

Sheridan Smith

Sheridan is an award-winning actress, singer and presenter. You may recognise her from a wide ranch of series and films since the launch of her career in the late 90s. Some examples include Gavin and Stacey, Mrs Biggs and Cilla.

Sheridan was born in Epworth, Lincolnshire and completed her further education in Scunthorpe.

Georgie Twigg

Another athlete, Georgie is a field hockey player who won a gold medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics. During her time as a midfielder for England and Great Britain, Georgie has racked up a crazy number of medals.

Georgie was born in Lincoln, following the 2012 Summer Olympics a post box in Doddington was painted bronze by fans in recognition of her achievement. However, the letterbox was later repainted in its official red colour by the Royal Mail.

In 2018 she announced her official retirement to focus on a professional career as a city lawyer.

Jennifer Saunders

Jennifer is an actress, comedian and screenwriter born in Sleaford, Lincolnshire. Jennifer first rose to fame in the 1980s after becoming a member of The Comic Strip – a famous group of British comedians who hosted a television series in the 1980s.

Saunders is predominantly recognised for the sitcom Absolutely Fabulous, which she wrote and starred in.

Jennifer has worked alongside Dawn French throughout the majority of her career. The two co-wrote and starred in the sketch show, French and Saunders, and would later win a BAFTA  lifetime achievement award in 2009.

Betty Gleadle

Betty Gleadle (better known by her stage name, Liz Smith) was an English actress known for her roles in BBC Sitcoms such as The Royle Family, The Vicar of Dibley and I Didn’t Know You Cared.

She was born in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire and served in the Women’s Royal Naval Service of the Royal Navy in the Second World War.

She rose to fame in 1971, aged 49, when she appeared in the film Bleak Moments. Betty passed away in 2016 aged 95.