books piled up on a table next to some daffodils.

A Lincoln student’s guide to the best books by female authors

It is Women’s History Month after all

Women’s History Month marks a time to celebrate the achievements of women and reflect on actions, which have helped create a world with more opportunities for women today.

Women were not always legally allowed to publish their writings and many who did used a male pseudonym. We have come a long way from this and can think of no better way to celebrate than recommending some great books by female authors.

The Song of Achilles – Madeline Miller

A white and blue book with a bow and arrow shaped like a heat on the front.

If you ever made it onto Book Tok you have definitely heard of this novel. American writer Madeline Miller spent 10 years writing The Song of Achilles. The story is set in Greece and offers a tragic retelling of the Trojan War. Trust me when I say, you will definitely need to get the tissues out for this one.

Such A Fun Age – Kiley Reid

A white book with Images of a young woman with a child talking to shop security in blue and the title in pink on the cover.

Such A Fun Age is American author Kiley Reid’s debut novel. It is a story about a young Black woman who is accused of kidnapping the white child she babysits. This novel effectively tackles themes surrounding race and privilege, while still having light-hearted and funny moments.

Alias Grace – Margaret Atwood

A white book with a blue and green geometric patten on with title of the book and author's name in brown.

Alias Grace is by Canadian writer, Margaret Atwood. It is based on the 1842 double murder of Thomas Kinnear and Nancy Montgomery. The novel’s protagonist is the convicted murderess Grace Marks, whose guilt/innocence and insanity/sanity is questioned by other characters and the reader.

Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier

A black book with red flowers on it and the author's name and book title in a gothic font.

Rebecca is a Gothic novel written by British author Daphne du Maurier in 1938. It follows an unnamed protagonist as she is swept up in a whirlwind relationship with Maxim de Winter, and haunted by the memory of his first wife Rebecca.

Boy Parts – Eliza Clark

A black book with a blurred image of a young man in black and white on. the title of the book and author's name is in a pale pink colour.

Eliza Clark’s debut novel Boy Parts is a dark comedy, which follows protagonist Irina, who takes explicit photos of average-looking men that she convinces to model for her. This shocking novel delves into themes such as sexuality, violence, gender roles and class. Irina definitely gives American Psycho vibes.

The Color Purple – Alice Walker

A purple book cover with a silhouette of a woman sat by a window reading a letter.

Alice Walker’s The Color Purple has won both the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for Fiction. This acclaimed novel is set in the Deep South between 1910-1940 and follows the lives of Celie and her sister Nettie through letters to each other and to God. Themes of race are explored, as well as the dynamic and support of female friendships.

Six of Crows – Leigh Bardugo

A book with a crow on the cover and the title in red.

Six of Crows is a fantasy novel written by Israeli-American writer Leigh Bardugo. The novel follows six gang members as they attempt a deadly heist. Six of Crows, combined with some of Bardugo’s other novels, has inspired the Netflix series Shadow and Bone.

The Bloody Chamber – Angela Carter

A black book with a woman in a red cape running on it. the title of the book is in black on the cape.

The Bloody Chamber is a collection of short stories by Angela Carter, inspired by fairytales. Each retelling is Gothic and can be interpreted through a feminist perspective as offering social comment surrounding women’s issues and the treatment of women.