Seven things you only know if you ever lived in 179

The smoking area is the place to be

179 is one of Lincoln’s newest accommodations, so there are only a select group of students who are able to share these memories of what it was like to live there, but there will soon be more who will be able to.

For most students, 179 is just another normal accommodation, but no one will truly understand the experience it was to live there. Here is a list of seven things that only 179 people will be able to relate to.

1. Finding people’s belongings in the lift 

On more occasions than there should be, there will be a message in the 179 group chat asking who has left their belongings in the lift. Just standard things I suppose. There have been shoes, t-shirts and all sorts being left in the lifts. How can people forget to leave them there? Each to their own.

2. Actually having a lift

Some accommodations don’t have a lift, you know who you are. I don’t know how your poor souls manage to carry up your weekly shopping all the time. Having a lift just makes life so much easier, and if you were one of the weird people who still took the stairs, I can’t relate to you.

3. Being so close to the High Street

Some of you will never know the luxury of not having to pay for McDonald’s delivery, and it being just a 2-minute walk from 179. This is why Pavs and 179 are the most elite accommodations, you all wish you had a McDonald’s on your doorstep. Being so close to the High Street means that everything is right on your doorstep, so for lazy people like me, the location is great.

4. ‘Come and collect your parcel’ 

The 179 group chat was filled with parcels after parcels. It was very useful, especially if you’re like me and do not check your emails. But at least once a day, someone would post a picture of a parcel in the group chat asking the person to come and collect it.

It stacks up

5. Easily being able to see other people in the building 

Most accommodations have blocks whereas 179 is two big tall buildings. This means it is so easy to get to know people in 179 and to visit people in their flats, you’ll just have to press a button in the lift, and it will take you to their floor. Just having your friends at the click of a button away from you was something I took for granted.

6. The smoking area

If you ever wanted to meet more people in 179, then the smoking area is the place to go. The smoking area may only be small and have only one bin, (maybe two if you’re lucky), which was used as an ashtray. But it will always be everyone’s favourite communal area in 179.

7. Being asked ‘why did you choose 179?’

There are so many people who ask me why I chose to live in 179 even now and I don’t even live there anymore. I would pick an accommodation with a key card and a lift over fiddly keys and long flights of stairs any day of the week.

Love you 179 x