‘We are all one family’: Meet Lincoln’s Drag Queens

‘It’s not all glam and dancing for us queens, we often have people feel they can talk to us about things they would normally not speak about’

February marks LGBT+ History Month and there is no better time than ever to find out about Lincoln’s drag scene!

LGBT+ History Month was originally founded in Missouri in 1994 and has since become an annual month-long observance of queer history. Since the 19th century, the term “drag” has been used to describe those who redefine the concept of gender. Drag goes back to as far as the Shakespearean era in which rules against females performing on stage meant female roles were played by men.

Drag became directly associated with the LGBT+ community in the 1920’s when the drag ball tradition was believed to have really taken off. In the 1950s drag queens began performing in bars and spaces that catered to the LGBT+ community such as the Black Cat in San Francisco. It is here that drag gradually solidified itself as an art form. The Stonewall Riot of 1969 saw drag queens protesting against police raids on gay bars in New York. This led to the creation of the Gay Liberation Front and furthermore the fight for acceptance and equality.

Overtime, drag has become more about the individual and so much more than female impersonation. Drag is a pertinent part of LGBT+ History and should be celebrated as such.

There is no better time than now to get to know the local drag queens of Lincoln.

Ruby Boy (she/they/he)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZzpqd9gRSE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

How would you describe your drag?

When I’m in drag I radiate a character. Not necessarily a new persona but everything I’d like to be as a boy has been pushed forward and exaggerated into this burlesque, slutty, circus princess. I see myself as a cartoon character when I’m in drag, the main antagonist of a medieval fantasy story. Probably animated on a cheap budget by the looks of things.

What do you love about Lincoln’s drag scene?

Lincoln is so diverse and so powerful for how small it is. We have so many amazing performers who are all so different to one another. It’s truly a powerhouse condensed into one tiny city. But instead of it seeming like the competition it should be, we’re all one family, and we bicker like such. My Lincoln drag family have taught me patience and resilience, as well as knocking me down when I needed humbling. And I love that they can talk to me instead of seeing me as a colleague or some lad in a frock.

What is your favourite part about being a drag queen?

The growth. I’ve barely even scratched the surface of where I want to be or look like or do. The possibilities seem endless and my future feels so warm and bright.  I’m 19, I know I have a hell of a lot more to learn and I’m so excited to do so. Not to mention the customers and fan base – it feels weird saying a fan base but it really is when people begin to recognise you from social media or when I’m out on the street as a boy. I’ve been so accepted and welcomed not only by the venue I’ve worked at but by the public who have taught me just as much as the queens have.

What is your go-to lip sync song?

I don’t tend to lip sync that often, I’m wanting to lean away from that and expand my other skills like singing live and just gaining confidence on a mic. Old Hollywood jazzy songs would definitely be my go-to for singing. Anything that makes me seem older yet somehow sexier.

Jackie Daniels

How would you describe your drag?

I would say my drag is mainly old school, I’ve been doing drag since I was 18 I’m now nearly (dare I say) 35. Lily Savage and Dame Edna are my favourite queens, I’m not a full-on looks queen I’m more about having a personality and building up a good atmosphere with the regulars and new individuals that come to any venue I’m working in. Though I do like to throw out an edgy look now and then to show that we older drag artists are not just one-trick pony’s.

Since I started working in Lincoln several years ago I’ve noticed it’s very open. Personally, I love seeing new queens coming out and working with them. Seeing the different styles and personalities. It also makes me happy to see them grow and continue the much needed drag.

My favourite part of becoming Jackie Daniels each night is knowing I’ll make at least one person’s night better. It’s not all glam and dancing for us queens, we often have people feel they can talk to us about things they would normally not speak about – it might be relationship problems, home problems, gossip or even coming out in general. I feel it’s our duty as drag queens to support the individuals that come to our safe spaces in the LGBT+ community and offer help or just an ear to speak to. That’s what makes me feel good about my job overall.

What’s your go-to lip sync song?

I don’t really do shows or anything anymore, I’m much more of a chatterbox and DJ these days. If I had to pick a song it would be “Colour My World” from Pricilla Stage Show, originally by Petulia Clarke. It’s got a camp tune but a positive vibe!

Ella Demonio (she/they)

How would you describe your drag?

My drag is a way of gender self-expression and projecting an ideal form of myself. I identify as non-binary and drag for me, specifically the way I choose to present as Ella, is a way to play with that expression. Growing up I hung around with people from the alternative/goth scenes in Lincoln and that has heavily influenced the styling of Ella; they’re the little weird Emo kid I felt I never could be growing up.

The Lincoln Drag scene is so diverse, you’ll never see two performers/artists doing the same thing and I love that about us all. With that, I don’t think any of us could specifically fit into a category that Drag Race viewers might put us into. Also, we are so incredibly supportive of one another, always there to lend a shoulder to cry on or a lash to pop on!

For me, the favourite part of being a drag artist is the ability to transform and show the audience something different with every show and having their support.

What is your go-to lip sync song?

My go-to when all else fails is All The Things She Said and its Russian counterpart, Ya Soshla S Uma by t.A.T.u.

Lin Gerie (she/her)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaM3R-ZK6ro/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

How would you describe your drag?

I’d describe my drag as fun, camp, friendly, but also the girl that can read you like a book! A mix of high fashion, comedy and a range of obscure influences from Lady Gaga to Lady Di.

I love the Lincoln drag scene because it’s so small yet so diverse. Everyone does their own thing and gets along really well. We rarely have any drama and we have the most supportive and amazing fans!

My favourite part about drag is when I’m on stage performing knowing that I have the audience in the palm of my hand. Each time they cheer or I get a laugh I know that for the time they’re there I’m making sure they have an amazing time and forget any worries outside the venue.

What is your go-to lip sync song?

My go to lip-sync song would probably have to be Diamond Heart by Lady Gaga. Being a massive fan of hers – plus I love a song to throw myself and my hair about to!

Sperm Donna (he/she/they)

How would you describe your drag?

Not for kids… With a name like Sperm Donna, what do you expect really! To those that are unfamiliar with the world of Drag, I like to drop them in at the deep end with what I do. My drag is unordinary, uncommon and unhinged. I like to mix masculine and feminine elements, and always present an aesthetic that’s familiar yet something you aren’t used to. Always a little grunge, yet runway ready.

Lincoln’s Drag scene, although small, has a lot of might and drive. Unlike big city artists, we don’t have access to a large pool of resources or like-minded audiences, so we understand what it’s like to work for our accomplishments and work hard despite not always being guaranteed success. Yet we do it because we love drag. So, my favourite thing about Lincoln’s drag scene is that it’s LINCOLN’S drag scene.

The attention. I’ve always been a glutton for the limelight. I jest, well, it is partially true, any artist would be lying if they said they didn’t appreciate the admiration you can receive. But I started drag as a way to focus my energy on a passion of mine and heighten my creative capabilities. I love being able to use myself as my own canvas, create something from nothing and expand my skill set. I also find it important to continually grow my knowledge on societal issues, so meeting new and diverse people on the regular is something I cherish.

What is your go-to lip sync song?

To be honest, I don’t have one! I’ve never done the same lip sync twice, and for no reason other than I like trying something new each time I get into drag and/or perform on stage. I would never want to be complacent in what I do, so constantly changing how I present and perform is something I do without even realising.

Mooella De Vil (they/them/she/her)

How would you describe your drag?

My drag is very different to how a lot of people see drag I and more campy and alternative and take pieces from different places and mash them together so I love 1950s housewife dresses and hair but add the grit from 1970/80s punk London scene and maybe also a creature ripped from a horror movie.

What I love about Lincoln’s drag scene is none of us are the same none of us look the same we are one of the most varied and unique set of people yet we all are sisters.

My favourite part of being a drag is expressing my art in a different way. I use the demons and creatures I see in bad times as what I should dress up in and then using them to battle gender dysphoria. That made me find myself. If it wasn’t for drag I wouldn’t have come out as trans and the demons I see in my head wouldn’t be used as a creative drive.

What is your go-to lip sync song?

My go-to lip sync song would definitely have to be Material Girl by Madonna. I think is so camp and such a fun upbeat song – it’s constantly playing over and over in my head!

Seven (she/they)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaAsYjEKXIT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

How would you describe your drag?

I like to simply describe my drag as “looking pretty but acting stupid”. I like to look stunning, But when you talk to me I like to make you laugh and act the fool. I’m the prettiest clown.
But then sometimes I love to be out of this world, I’ll paint myself blue, I’ll have a prosthetic face on, I’ll be a juxtaposition to the beauty I do for the most part but I still act the fool and make people laugh.

Lincoln drag scene is incredible, we all get along, we all help each other where needed and we’re all just friends and like to have a good time!
We all do different types/styles or drag, so when you come to a Lincoln drag show, you see a Rolodex of our queens.

This is weirdly the hardest question, my favourite part would just simply be, how happy it makes me. It’s something I’m good at and I know no one does what I can do quite the same as me.

What is your go to lip sync song?

I don’t really have one – I like to try and not repeat a song, but I love to do some pop, a Little Rock, some comedy, anything that I know the audience will enjoy.

Celine Begone (she/her/they/them)

How would you describe your drag?

I would describe myself as an “old school camp British drag queen”.

I like Lincoln’s drag scene because of the small close knit community, we get to know each other quite well due to the scene being smaller than other cities, whilst still being large enough that there is employability.

My favourite part about being a drag queen is the idea of being able to make a difference in someone’s life. Every person that I can make smile or improve the day of, even if only slightly is such an amazing feeling and the fact that I am able to do this in a capacity that I enjoy so much is all the better.

What is your go-to lip sync song?

I don’t lip sync, I sing live (for better or for worse haha), but my most iconically associated performance song is Stars from Les Miserables and my favourite crowd pleaser song is Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond.

Featured image credit via @rubyboydrag and @lin_gerie_queen on Instagram.