This is what’s happening in Lincoln during LBGT+ History Month 2022

Jamie Campbell will be doing a Q & A following an Everybody’s Talking About Jamie screening!

LGBT+ History Month takes place every February in the UK and gives the chance “to shed new light on the history of lesbian, gay, bi and trans people in the UK,” says Stonewall.

This year’s theme is ‘Politics In Art’ which honours the early Gay Rights Movement slogan “the personal is political”.

2022 marks the 50th anniversary of the first Pride march in the UK which took place in 1972 in London. The University of Lincoln’s Students’ Union is hosting an array of different events and activities to mark this years LGBT+ History Month.

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie Screening and Q & A with special guest Jamie Campbell 

On February 22nd, Lincoln SU is hosting a free screening of the original movie Everybody’s Talking About Jamie which will be followed by an in-person Q&A with Jamie Campbell, who the musical and film are based on.

They said: “Jamie will be talking about his experiences, breaking down barriers, how to be an LGBT+ ally and will be taking questions from the audience.”

The event is free and will be taking place from 5pm to 8pm at the Platform. You can book your place here.

Drag Ball Extravaganza – LGBT+ History Month Special  

Baga Chipz, Janey Jacke, River Medway, Gothy Kendoll and Vanity Milan will be making their way to Lincoln to bring students a Drag Ball Extravaganza.

This event is being held at the Engine Shed on February 25th from 7pm until late. Students can book their tickets here.

Sober Space at The Swan

Every Thursday this month from 8pm to 10pm, Lincoln SU’s LGBT+ Officer has set up a “cosy corner in The Swan, as a safe and inclusive space for students to meet, interact, play board games and maybe even enjoy a slice of cake!”

It is completely free to attend.

The Scene

The Scene is Lincoln’s very first and only LGBT venue and have been “proudly serving the community since 2012”. The Lincoln Tab has previously spoken to The Scene who are “extremely proud” to be the only LGBTQ+ venue in Lincoln, and they pride themselves “on providing an inclusive and safe space for everyone who needs it, whether they are part of the LGBTQ+ community or not.

The Scene always hosts exciting events such as Camp Karaoke, Quids In, Fomo!, Kiki, Fierce, Saturgay and Sunday Service. They also have been hosting RuPaul’s Drag Race UK vs The World viewing parties each week.

Photo before edits by Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash