Here are 10 reasons why you should write for The Lincoln Tab

We’re recruiting new writers and we want you!

At The Lincoln Tab we are always looking for new writers to join our team. No experience is required to be part of the team, just a fun individual with a passion for writing who wants to join a team of student journalists.

There is a lot more to The Lincoln Tab than just writing articles, we have compiled 10 reasons why you should write for us to prove just that!

If you are interested in joining the team, send us a DM on our Instagram or Facebook page!

1. You get to talk about issues you care about

The Tab gives you a platform that is unrivalled in student media. Many of our talented writers have used their platform to bring attention to issues that matter to them.

This ranges from reporting on news stories that deserve to be spoken about, or opinion pieces on issues such as racism and body shaming.

If you write for us, you can be part of that.

2. You can write almost anything

We encourage you to pitch the wildest article ideas that pop into your mind. The more passion you have for a topic, the better the article will be.

From ridiculous quizzes to opinion pieces, you can write almost anything as long it is something Lincoln students can relate to and would want to read.

There is nowhere else you can write an article on which RuPaul’s Drag Race UK queen you would be and it be read by students all across Lincoln.

3. You will be at the forefront of on-campus news and get to break the stories students care about

For us, the news is anything you’d be excited to tell your mates about down the pub or share in the group chat.

Breaking news stories that matter to students is what we do best. In the past, we’ve had writers run down the Brayford bridge to get a story that was happening. Being passionate in this way means we get the best exclusives – often before anyone else.

4. We always get the best on-campus gossip

The secret to being a good Tab writer is knowing people and being the sort of person people go to with interesting stories to tell.

We have a tips chat for our more committed writers where we share the most interesting goings-on around campus whether that be in uni halls or just along the Brayford.

5. It’s an unbeatable way to build up a portfolio

If you’re applying for any writing or journalism job, having a fab portfolio is key. The Tab allows you to write across a range of topics and formats. It enables you to show what you can do and our portfolios are easy to find.

6. You’ll be writing for a nationally recognised newspaper and our stories can get picked up by national and local newspapers

We know our website is looked at by writers and editors at national newspapers – and many of our original news stories get written up in them.

In the past, we have had stories picked up by the BBC, LincsFM, and the Daily Mail.

7. It looks amazing on your CV and is a way to get professional experience while at uni

Alongside being incredibly fun, writing for The Tab is a useful thing for you to do too, as it looks great on your CV.

If you’re thinking of a future career in journalism, becoming a writer for us is an unbeatable way to gain experience at the heart of student journalism. Future employers are certain to know who The Tab are, and having a strong writer’s portfolio will really boost your application.

8. You will be joining a national team and be supported in your writing by actual journalists

Even though we are The Lincoln Tab, we still have very a very close relationship with The Tab’s national editorial team. The national team are run by actual journalists who have recently graduated and are always here to offer advice and help.

Many of the national writers started their careers by writing for their uni Tab teams, and have been in your exact shoes and can offer the best help possible.

9. It’s an amazing opportunity to meet some fun and interesting people

You will get to work and socialise with a great team of writers, you will also get to meet and interact with really interesting people on campus.

In the past, we have interviewed Lincoln Youtuber Luke Birch and Tik Tok famous stars like Jess Hickey and Aoife McMorrow.

1o. We have weekly meetings and our socials are a lot of fun

Writing for us does not mean you sitting with your laptop all the time. We are a group of students who will soon become some of your closest friends in Lincoln if you choose to join us.

We have weekly meetings in The Swan, which gives you a chance to share any article ideas you have and a chance to catch up with your fellow writers.

We also have monthly socials such as club and cocktail nights that you definitely don’t want to miss!

If you have any questions or can’t make the open meeting, message our InstagramFacebook and we’ll get back to you.

Recommended related articles by this writer

We rated Lincoln students’ dating nightmares and they’re hell on earth

A group of Lincoln students love Towers so much they had the logo tattooed on them

PSA: This is how women in Lincoln can do a free UTI home test using just their phone