‘Face coverings should now be worn in all university buildings’: UoL on the latest government guidelines

Face masks should now be worn in stairwells, entrance lobbies and laundry rooms within University accommodation

The University of Lincoln has asked all students and staff to wear face masks inside university buildings, unless exempt.

Yesterday, Boris Johnson announced new measures to restrict the spread of a new Covid-19 variant, known as Omicron. One of the first cases in the UK of the new variant was found in Nottingham. One of the new measures includes the reintroduction of compulsory face masks in shops and on public transport.

In an email to all staff and students, the university said: “We are expecting the Government to update its guidance for universities in the coming days but in the meantime the University expects all staff and students to wear a face covering inside University buildings (unless exempt), adhere to one-way signs, sanitise hands regularly, and take twice weekly lateral flow tests.”

They continued: “This means face coverings should now be worn in all University buildings, including in teaching sessions and communal spaces (stairwells, entrance lobbies and laundry rooms) within University accommodation.”

Those who are exempt do not need to wear one and if asked should confirm their exemption.

University staff do not need to wear face masks when at their desk but should wear on when moving around their office or visiting another.