Home nightclub to introduce measures against drink spiking in Lincoln

‘With these measures in place, it should give everybody the confidence they need to come out and enjoy the evening economy in Lincoln whilst feeling safe and secure’

Home nightclub in Lincoln is introducing preventative measures against the spiking of drinks at their venue. This comes after a series of reports of drink spiking in university cities across the country.

At least 2,600 young people believe they have been spiked since the beginning of this current university year, according to a survey by The Tab.

Michael Limming, general manager of the nightclub said: “While the numbers or reports are thankfully very low in comparison to the overall footfall. As far as we are aware, there have been no confirmed cases of spiking in Lincoln.

“There is a great deal of cooperation between the Police, PubWatch and Lincoln BIG to ensure there is maximum information sharing and awareness messaging as possible to make Lincoln a safe night out. As such we have enhanced our current procedures and also added to them.”

The measures in place include an increased awareness around the issue of spiking, “including posters and videos within our venues showing what measures we are taking as a venue and what measures customers can take to keep themselves safe.”

Stoptopps are stickers that can be placed over the top of a drink which then allows a straw to be pierced through, not allowing anything to be added to the drink. These are available upon request with each drink.

The nightclub has increased their drinks testing campaign “to ensure the public is aware that we have the ability to test drinks for any substances that may have been put in them.”

Members of staff are also receiving enhanced training around the issues of drinks spiking, this will include awareness, detection and support. They have also employed a fully qualified medic during their peak trading times. The medic will operate from their fully equipped first aid room.

Mr Limming continued to say: “We believe that with these measures in place it should give everybody the confidence they need to come out and enjoy the evening economy in Lincoln whilst feeling safe and secure.