‘It’s too soon’: We asked Lincoln students if they were looking forward to July 19th

56 per cent of students who voted said they were most excited for ‘a proper night out’

Boris Johnson has confirmed to the nation July 19th will go ahead with all limits on social contact being lifted as part of the final stage of the roadmap out of lockdown.

As of the 19th, nightclubs will be allowed to reopen at full capacity, there will be no limit on how many people you can meet up with indoors or outside, and restrictions on theatre, sport and live music events are set to be eased.

Next Monday will be the day many of us have been hoping for, but not everyone is as keen. We spoke to students at the University of Lincoln if they were looking forward to what is being called “freedom day”.

52 per cent of students are looking forward to July 19th

52 per cent out of the 170 who voted said they are looking forward to July 19th. We asked students who voted yes, what they were most excited for, 55 per cent voted for ‘a proper night out’ and 45 per cent out of the 102 who voted said they were looking forward to something else.

Students responded to the Lincoln Tab’s Instagram with why they were excited for “freedom day”. One student said they were looking forward to “socialising without the worry of Covid restrictions.” Two students said they were looking forward to their birthday that fall on the day everything goes “back to normal.”

48 per cent of students are not looking forward to July 19th

48 per cent out of the 170 who voted in our poll said they were not looking forward to next week and shared their opinions with us as to why. One student at the University of Lincoln said: “We aren’t ready to open back up and frankly I am terrified. I’m very scared for my personal safety.”

Another student who works in the hospitality industry said: “Working in a bar will not be fun.” A number of students shared the same sentiment of the final stage of the roadmap out of lockdown as “too early” and “too soon”.

You can read more about the government’s plans for July 19th here.