Lincoln students asked to delay their return to uni under government guidance

Lincolnshire was placed under Tier 4 restrictions on Wednesday

University of Lincoln students have been asked to stagger their return to university as a result of the latest government guidance. On Wednesday, Lincolnshire was placed under the toughest of restrictions during the tier review in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus.
Under the new restrictions, you cannot leave or be outside the place you are living unless you have a ‘reasonable excuse’. You cannot meet other people indoors unless you live with them, or they are part of your support bubble. You should only mix with those people in your immediate household.

Students who are currently living in their term-time accommodation in Lincoln are asked to “be responsible and help to protect our community by following the rules. Do not attempt to meet up with friends unless they are part of your household and please avoid large gatherings of any kind.”

In an email to all students, the University of Lincoln said: “The Government has now determined that all universities restrict the return of students from 4th January 2021 to those who are reading in the subjects in the following areas:”

These courses include: medicine & dentistry, subjects allied to medicine/health, education (initial teacher training), social work  and courses which require Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body (PSRB) assessments and /or mandatory activity which is scheduled for January and which cannot be rescheduled.

Face-to-face teaching will resume as previously indicated before Christmas, for those courses.

For all other courses, teaching will be online for the first three weeks of term. The government will determine when students can return to face-to-face teaching after a review but they have indicated their hope that face-to-face teaching can resume in a phased way from the 25th January.

The university assured once they know more from the government they will update students. They said: “If you are in Lincoln already you can access the campus facilities such as the library and student support but you are strongly advised to book and take a test before you access facilities on campus.”

brayford-cygnet-swan

All students are expected to be tested for Covid-19 before using university facilities. Asymptomatic testing is available for all students and staff, and are advised to book a test slot as soon as they can.

The University of Lincoln said: “Asymptomatic testing commences from Sunday 3rd January and you can book a test slot here: https://lncn.ac/tct. Students are advised to aim to be tested on arrival and to minimise social contact until a negative test result has been confirmed. Testing is available for students who have stayed on campus over the winter break.

Students are asked to bring evidence of a negative test result (eg. text message or email confirmation) if they wish to access and use any University facilities.

For more information, visit the University’s coronavirus page here.