Lincoln is officially in the new Tier 3: Here’s how this affects students

Lincoln is now under the strictest restrictions

It has been confirmed that Lincolnshire has been put into Tier 3, ahead of the ending of lockdown next week.

The tier for Lincoln was previously Tier 1, however, as a result of rising rates of infection in the county, we have moved up and this will come into force when the month-long national lockdown comes to an end next week.

Matt Hancock said: “I know how difficult this has been, especially for those areas who have been in tougher restrictions for so long.”

tier for Lincoln

What does this mean?

Tier 3 is the most strict out of all tiers and for us, this means a massive change from what we were used to before lockdown. Under the new rules, you must not meet with anyone you do not live with inside or outside your household, you cannot socialise with a group of more than six people in outdoor venues.

Pubs, bars, and restaurants are to remain closed but can operate as a takeaway or delivery service. Cinemas, theatres etc are to remain closed, gyms can stay open, you cannot attend sports events and are advised against travelling to other parts of the UK.

How does this affect students?

Students at the University of Lincoln have been advised to return home during the government’s ‘travel window’, between December 3 and 9. The majority of courses at the university will be moving to fully online learning from November 30 due to government guidance.

The university is still offering asymptomatic tests to its students.

For more information on coronavirus and the tier for Lincoln, visit the government website.