Lincoln SU cut 34 staff members after £1 million loss

Yep, that really means no Quack this year

The University of Lincoln’s Student Union has announced major changes and cuts made due to the lack of funding from Covid-19 which has seen all SU venues closed for 5 months. In a recent social media announcement, they revealed a total loss of up to £1 million, all of which fund SU staff in various roles.

In their post, they further explain that the cuts from the pandemic has “left a large hole in the resources that we have had in the past to support students, put on events and keep the SU running.”

View this post on Instagram

📣 AN IMPORTANT UPDATE FROM YOUR STUDENT LEADERS 📣 Your Student Leaders are here to update you on how COVID-19 has affected the Students' Union and how we plan to move forward into the new academic year; continuing to support, represent and provide opportunities for students. The Student Leaders will be answering any questions on this subject, in a full-team FB Live on Thursday 3rd Sept at 10.30am, if you have anymore questions or worries. We know this year is going to be different, but we are so excited to welcome you all back to Lincoln! Don't forget, it's now easier than ever to contact the SU. ✉️ [email protected] 📞 01522 886006 📱 WhatsApp Message: (+44) 1522 886006

A post shared by Uni of Lincoln Students' Union (@unilincolnsu) on

Lincoln’s SU club night, Quack! and other SU on-campus events are also unlikely to happen this year as the SU has decided to close the Engine Shed and repurpose its role as large-scale events like nightclub events are unlikely to take place for the rest of this year. Instead, they are opening the space all day for more of a socially distant area that students can use to eat, drink, and study, for when the uni reopens in October.

With Boris Johnson not yet giving the green light for nightclubs to reopen for some time, it is unlikely students will see the return of Quack every Wednesday. The SU has also urged students not to buy freshers’ wristbands that third-party providers are offering in Lincoln due to the uncertainty surrounding clubs reopening and the safety for students.

They have also announced a new app they have launched called “Student Orders” which allows students to order food and drink from SU venues, such as The Swan or Tower Bar within the building to their tables so they do not have to queue. The SU added that they will be delivering food and drink from venues to students as long as their accommodation/student house is within a 3-mile radius of Lincoln. The menus from SU venues are also set to have more variety this October.

The SU has acknowledged that it “is not going to be the same” this year but ensure they will try their hardest to make the year the best it can be for its students.