Only 15 per cent of the University of Lincoln’s staff are from BAME backgrounds

Less than 1 per cent of the university professors around the UK are black

The University of Lincoln has released figures showing that among their academic staff “15% are from BAME backgrounds but this figure has been increasing over the coming years.”
A spokesperson for the university added: “We welcome more than 100 different nationalities represented across our staff and student community. Diversity enriches our teaching, student experience and research, bringing a variety perspectives and experiences.”
This statistic is no anomaly as an article using HESA data calculated that 0.7 percent of professional staff working at UK universities are black compared to 87 percent white.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) released in 2018, that state funded schools employed 85.9 percent white British staff. They also showed  92.9 percent of headteachers in England were also white British.
The importance of these statistics aligns with the Black Lives Matter movement which has seen protests across America and the UK in response to the death of George Floyd.

Protests in London over the past week

In response to the movement, the University of Lincoln took part in the Black Out Tuesday posts, where Instagram users posted a black screen to show solidarity to the injustice black people face.

View this post on Instagram

A statement from your Student Leaders: As a Students’ Union, it is our role to represent every student at the University of Lincoln. For that reason, we felt it pertinent to make a statement following the appalling murder of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis on the 25th May. This SU has always been and will always be an advocate for diversity, welcoming and supporting students of all races. We also acknowledge the existence of institutionalised racism through society and this team continues to work every year to combat this in Lincoln. It’s important to us that we raise the voices of our black students and make sure that their student experience is equal to that of white students. It is important for all members of the Lincoln community to feel safe and supported, and to know that they are surrounded by allies within the SU, university and student-body. We also want to assure all of our students that we have a zero-tolerance policy on any and all hate crimes committed on-campus or across Lincoln. If you are a student who has been the victim or a witness to a hate crime; report this immediately to the police, in the first instance. If you do not feel confident in reporting an incident to the authorities, this can also be done via the University's Hate Crime Reporting Centre (linked in the news story in our bio). Lastly, it’s important that we work together; to learn, grow and advocate for the Black Lives Matter movement to create positive change for black people in Lincoln and globally. We want all students to feel comfortable talking to us about their experiences as a student or injustices they might have faced. You can contact all of our Student Leaders via email or social media, or contact our BAME Officer on [email protected]

A post shared by Uni of Lincoln Students' Union (@unilincolnsu) on

In an email to all staff and students, the University asked those to join them and kneel for black lives for 5 minutes in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement.

“This Thursday, 4th June, at 9.25am the University of Lincoln and the Students’ Union will make a collective gesture of unity, support and solidarity and will Kneel for Black Lives for 5 minutes. Join us, wherever you are in the world, and kneel and together we will make a statement that #BlackLivesMatter.

Kneel for Black Lives

Your current Volunteer Officers and incoming Student Leaders are joining university staff and students, to kneel in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement and black students and staff in Lincoln.

Posted by University of Lincoln Students' Union on Thursday, 4 June 2020

“All of us, staff and students alike, need to stand firm against racism and intolerance. Universities need to be beacons for the community, representing all that is best in humanity and standing against its vulgarities.”