Image may contain: Police Car, Automobile, Vehicle, Transportation, Car

A man stabbed a wheelchair user in the chest in Lincoln city centre last weekend

He is believed to have used a Stanley knife in the attack

A 53-year-old man has been charged with wounding, possession of an offensive weapon and criminal damage following a stabbing that took place on St Benedict's Square last Friday evening.

Kerry Fletcher, 53, appeared before Lincoln Magistrates' Court yesterday where he was accused of stabbing Richard Smith, 50, in the chest on October 11.

Prosecuter, Daniel Pietryka, said it is believed a Stanley knife was used in the attack that took place around 7pm that evening.

Image may contain: Human, Person, Taxi, Cab, Vehicle, Automobile, Car, Transportation

Police cordoned off areas near the war memorial on St Benedict's Square and the Glory Hole

Around 7pm Friday, emergency services responded to a call that a man had been found with stab wounds near St Benedict's Square in Lincoln city centre.

The man was taken to the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham to be treated for his injuries, which were later confirmed to not be life threatening.

A man in his 50's was later arrested following a police appeal on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.

Image may contain: Bus, Police Car, Person, Human, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Automobile

An abandoned wheelchair was spotted at the scene

Kerry Fletcher appeared in Lincoln Magistrates' Court yesterday, only to confirm his name, date of birth and address.

He was refused bail and was remanded to appear in Crown Court via video link on November 11.

Image Credit: Lincolnshire Live