Image may contain: Word, Shorts, Banner, Sphere, People, Text, Apparel, Footwear, Clothing, Shoe, Person, Human

‘Boob ball’ replaces dodgeball in breast cancer charity event

The event aimed to raise awareness for breast cancer charity, CoppaFeel

The University of Lincoln Boob Team, who support breast cancer charity, CoppaFeel, teamed up with the University of Lincoln Dodgeball society for a charity game last Thursday.

The game, named 'boob ball' took place in the University sports hall on January 31 and was advertised as 'open to all abilities' to raise awareness towards breast cancer.

Sam, the vice president of the dodgeball society, spoke about the experience:

"The event involved playing modified games of dodgeball oriented around the dodge balls provided by the CoppaFeel charity made to look like boobs, such as "Rack 'em up."

"Near the end we played our normal game of last man standing with the boob balls incorporated, and after that representatives of CoppaFeel gave us a little talk on breast cancer awareness."

Image may contain: Skin, T-Shirt, Man, Sphere, Sleeve, Human, Person, Apparel, Clothing

The charity provided the team with dodge balls that looked like boobs, (Photography: Beth Pritchard)

CoppaFeel, the charity endorsed by celebrities such as Fearne Cotton and Giovanna Fletcher, aims to regulate boob checking behaviour in young women and men.

The boob team at the University of Lincoln have supported the charity since September, holding events such as bra pong, a boobie bake sale, a quiz night and more which has raised £736 so far.

With more events coming this year, they aim to meet a £1000 target by March 2019.

Grace Thompson, UBT leader told the Lincoln Tab:

"We started following CoppaFeel in 2016 and when they advertised Uni Boob Teams at universities I wanted to sign up as soon as we could.

"I've had family members who have been affected by breast cancer so the story behind CoppaFeel really hit home for me and I wanted to shout about how checking your boobs could save your life across Lincoln.

"We mainly did boob ball as an awareness event to spread our boob love message across campus even further in the most fun way possible.”

Image may contain: Crowd, Shorts, Footwear, Shoe, Sphere, Word, People, Apparel, Clothing, Text, Person, Human

The team lined up for a group photo after the event, (Photography: Beth Pritchard)

Statistics from Breast Cancer Care UK, state that around 11,500 die every year from breast cancer in the UK.

Despite this, they say that breast cancer survival is improving and has doubled in the past 40 years in the UK.

An estimated 691,000 are alive in the UK after a diagnosis of breast cancer, which is predicted to rise to 840,000 in 2020.

Image may contain: Shorts, Flooring, Team, Team Sport, Sport, Sports, Ball, People, Shoe, Footwear, Apparel, Clothing, Sphere, Person, Human

The game was open to all abilities, (Photography: Beth Pritchard)

In a mission statement posted by the UBT it says:

'The University of Lincoln Uni Boob Team (or UBT) is BACK at Lincoln this year. Our aim? To get as many of the students here checking their breasts and pecs (including we're looking at you gents!) regularly to be aware of any changes in your body to help detect any signs of Breast Cancer early.

We want to live in a world where all breast cancers are diagnosed at their earliest stage – giving everyone the best possible chance of surviving the illness. We want to help CoppaFeel! make this vision a reality.'

Grace commented on how exactly the UBT is helping raise awareness towards breast cancer on campus:

"We are here to regulate boob checking behaviour in young women and men (as yes, men can get breast cancer too!) and encourage everyone to know what their body is doing.

"By checking once a month you can notice if there is changes and our main slogan is "if in doubt, get it checked out!"

"The on-campus doctors are aware of the team here at Lincoln and have been so supportive since we started up.

"We also have a monthly text reminder code where CoppaFeel send you a boob checking reminder at the beginning of each month. If you'd like to sign up just text UBT LINCS to 70500."