Man to be charged with murder of former Lincoln student who went missing in New Zealand

Police believe she was murdered although her body has not yet been found

| UPDATED Hide Images

Police have said a 26-year-old man is to be charged with the murder of former Lincoln University student Grace Millane, who had been backpacking after graduating in the summer.

Grace, 22, was last seen at her New Zealand hostel on 1st December and an appeal for information on her whereabouts has been underway since she went missing last Saturday.

Police have said they believe she was murdered, however her body has not been found yet. Detective Inspector Scott Beard has said that the evidence found by police suggests she is "no longer alive".

This announcement follows a review of CCTV footage, a forensic examination of the hotel where she was last seen, and the discovery of a vehicle.

Police have announced they will charge a 26-year-old man, who had been speaking to New Zealand officers, after he was located at an address in central Auckland.

Police are "determined to do everything we can to find" Grace, according to Detective Inspector Beard.

University of Lincoln Student's Union have reiterated their support available on campus for any students affected by the news.

Grace, who is originally from Essex, had kept in regular contact with her family whilst she was away. Her family became concerned after she stopped responding to birthday messages last Saturday, with a family member posting an appeal for information in the "Overhead at Lincoln" Facebook group on Tuesday.

She had been staying at the Base Backpackers hostel on Green Street in central Auckland, but has not contacted her family or been active on social media since.