Lincoln third year to model in Paris Fashion Week

While most of us will be getting drunk at freshers week, Maxine Sykes will be modelling for some of the world’s most prestigious designers at Paris Fashion Week

While most students will be preparing themselves for Freshers in the coming weeks, University of Lincoln student Maxine Sykes is getting ready for her debut at Paris Fashion Week.

Back in April, the Design for Exhibitions and Museum student won the editorial category for the UK’s leading professional model competition, Top Model UK.

Credit: Bon Parinya Wongwannawat

Maxine told The Tab that she signed with London based agency GTM Models shortly after and that it was through them that she was invited to a casting for Paris Fashion Week.

“I was I was the first model they saw and they had a week long casting but they signed me that day.”

Instead of walking the runway, the models at Paris ‘Ready to wear’ Fashion Week model the designers’ clothes in a showroom.

This year at PFW Maxine will be modelling for prestigious designer Roland Mouret.

This is so potential buyers can see the clothes up close on the models, something which Maxine said she’s excited for as “It’s a lot more than just walking.”

Fashion Week falls at the end of September, clashing with possibly the biggest week in the university calendar, freshers.

Most would be disappointed to miss their final Freshers Week, but third year Maxine said she’s not that bothered.

Credit: Chiara Ceci

“I missed Freshers when I was in first year too so I’m kind of used to it. Plus this is a big opportunity for me so I wouldn’t turn it down for anything, not even my final Freshers Week.”

Credit: Vera Biriukova

Taking time out of university for modelling is something Maxine is fortunate enough to be able to do as she studies Design for Exhibition and Museums, meaning a lot of her work is laptop based.

She added: “Hopefully my tutors will understand and be willing to email me work that I’ll miss during the 9 days I’m in Paris.

“I love my course and this is something I wasn’t expecting to happen but it has, so I want to put my all into it.”

Although getting a degree is Maxine’s top priority at the moment, come next summer she is going to give modelling full-time a shot, even if it doesn’t last long.

She admits: “I’m looking forward to going into the industry I’m training for but I’d regret not giving modelling a really good go.

“I love modelling but I’m not deluded. I can’t say I am going to be the next Cara Delevingne or Kate Moss but I know that wherever it takes me or whatever becomes of it, I gave it my best shot.”