Cold snap hits Lincoln

Arctic winds sweep over Britain and temperatures expected to drop below average, much lower than last November.

Lincoln is to endure near sub-zero temperatures over the next couple of weeks during a sudden nationwide cold snap, the result of north-westerly winds sweeping in from the Arctic.

Forecasts this week

In contrast to the boiling (rather short) summer we had, temperatures in Lincoln are not expected to exceed more than 7°C this week, with cloudy weather throughout, and light snow and rain expected early Wednesday.

Also anticipate strong wind gusts this week, though that’s hardly ever news in Lincoln.

A Metrogroup forecaster said “Temperatures through next week will be much lower than recently and generally below the November average. It will struggle to get up to four or five degrees and during the nights temperatures will be below zero quite widely, meaning frost across most places.”

Warning

The University of Lincoln has already taken precautions by gritting some of the campus but has warned students and staff that some areas may still be icy.