Tab tries: playzone

A bar, seriously scary slides and ball pools for grown ups. What’s not to love?

It’s not often you get to relive some of your fondest childhood memories, but I got the chance to on Tuesday at Playzone Lincoln.

Lincoln students loving life at Playzone!

Probably the only play area open to adults (well, students), you need to take a long hard look in the mirror if you haven’t yet experienced Playzone for yourself.

Granted, it’s been a good 15 years since I last set foot in a Playzone, but despite the alcohol I had consumed beforehand, I still felt like a child again.

Within 15 minutes of running, jumping, climbing and sliding, I had sweated away half my weight. It became clear that I was not a child but instead a slightly drunk 21-year-old student with breathing problems.

Powering through the initial exhaustion, I kept rushing through the obstacles to arrive to the focal point of the place – the four monster slides. It was a challenge I knew I had to face.

Firstly, there is the four-lane speed slide.  A good starter, especially for those not too comfortable with heights.

Next along is the sheer drop slide, seriously not for the faint-hearted. Seems daunting at first but will keep you going back for more.

The other two of ‘the big four’ come in the form of a tunnel slide and a double-drop slide into a ball pool. These are also great fun but can’t beat the thrill you get from the sheer drop slide.

However, when you’ve got two whole hours to play around you’ll need to come up with a few games to make the most of your time.

We opted for the classic “tag” or “tig” or “you’re it”. Yes, I will once again reassure you that we are 21, but this game provided plenty of drama and had me gasping for breath after a few quick getaways.

It is safe to say that this must have been one of the best workouts I’ve had in a while. I had a whole lot of fun, but did find myself feeling a bit like Roger Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon by the end of the night.

Student night at Playzone is every Tuesday between 7:30 and 9:30pm, costing £5 with a valid student card.