Recipe of the Week: Potato and Sweetcorn Chowder

Hayley Rowe brings you the quick and easy cure for fresher’s flu.

Being at uni means you’re highly likely to succumb to Freshers’ Flu. If you want to ward it off or ease your symptoms stock up on the OJ and multivitamins and try to eat something even vaguely healthy every now and then.

This chowder is great because it’s soup-er quick to make and good for you. Try it out, it really is pretty broth-taking.

Potato and Corn Chowder

Serves two.

• Two medium large potatoes
  • 750ml vegetable stock
  • 250g of sweetcorn
  • One clove of garlic
  • 30ml oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Peel and chop your potatoes into one inch cubes, peel and mince your clove of garlic. Add these and your oil to a large saucepan and fry gently for two minutes to soften.

2. Add 600mls of boiling vegetable stock to cover the potatoes and simmer for five to ten minutes. Reserve the remaining stock.

3.  Add corn and simmer for a further four minutes.

4. Using a hand blender pulse the mixture until thickened and chunky. If you do not have a hand blender you can use a potato masher. Be careful of splatters.

5. If your soup is too thick add a little boiling water to thin it out, if it has become too watery add a teaspoon of plain flour and mix well. Simmer for a further one to two minutes and then serve with granary toast.