The make-up dupes you wish you knew about sooner

Get flawless make-up without breaking the bank.

We are constantly told that if we want ‘quality’ make-up, we should really fork out on high-end products. After all, there has to be a reason that Urban Decay Naked palette is £40, right? But, the high street does have some amazing dupes for high-end products. For half the price. It’s all about knowing where to look.

NYX Cosmetics Lingerie Liquid Lipsticks – £6.50

If you want a matte, long lasting lip colour without spending £40 on a Kylie Jenner one (seriously why) then NYX lip creams are perfect. Boots has just started stocking NYX after its cult following in the US and it’s easy to see why they’re so popular. For the price they’re super long lasting and they’re not tacky feeling or annoying to wear at all.

Soap & Glory 2-In-1 Brow Filling Pencil – £8

Do not let expensive brands brainwash you into thinking that you need to spend £15+ to get your eyebrows to look perfect. Not when Soap & Glory offer a wide range of brow products from a measly £8. Their ‘Archery’ range is as diverse as the Benefit Brow products (£18.50+) and as silky as the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz (£15.50). The 2-In-1 Brow Filling Pencil is not only super easy to apply but will also save you at least £7.

Elf Mineral Infused face Primer – £7.50

After using both this and the £26 Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, I can honestly say the £19 price difference is not worth paying. The Elf primer has almost exactly the same soft texture as the Smashbox one and makes your face perfect. Who doesn’t want to look like a Snapchat filter in real life?

The primer of gods

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer – £4.19

This concealer is an utter life saver. Not only does it hide under eye circles and pesky breakouts, it does it for *deep breath* £4.19. Admittedly, the colour range is not the greatest and you may need to raid Boots for the right shade, but once you have it, you will never go back to that Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer (£19) or other high-end fave, Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer (£22). If you purchase only one thing on this list, get this concealer.

Cineen Brush Set – £7.29

These are basically the same as the Real Techniques Bold Metals brushes. Not only do they cost less combined than just one of the RT brushes, but they also work exactly the same. Not even my student loan can make me justify spending £120 on seven of Real Techniques’ makeup brushes.

L’Oreal Infallible Foundation – £10

Usually it is worth spending that bit extra on foundation. After all, a lot of high-end foundations last longer, don’t sit on the skin and provide a good, creamy coverage. But, there are a handful of foundations hidden on the high street. L’Oreal Infallible Foundation (£10) and the classic, Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation (£8.99) both have brilliant matte finishes and last for the entire day. Who needs Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation (£31) or Mac Studio Fix (£23.50) when these work just as well?

ELF Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder – £3.50

Elf have done it again with yet another dupe. The bronzer and blush duo is almost exactly the same as the Nars duo that costs around £30 – seriously who can afford to keep up that sort of spending? Both the colours are super pigmented and last for ages.

Sleek Contour and Blush Palette – £8

Chisel out those cheekbones with a contour and blush palette in one. Not only do you get a rosy blusher, a dazzling highlighter and a contour shade to suit your skin tone, you do so for a fraction of the price most high-end brands ask for. The Sleek Contour and Blush Palette is only £8 and comes with a range of tones and shades to perfectly match different skin tones. Also, £8 is nothing really compared to the Nars Bronzing Powders (each £28) and the Kat Von D ‘Shade and Light’ Contour Palette (£37).

Makeup Obsession DIY Palette – £2 to £8

I’ll admit I’d never heard of Makeup Obsession until a few weeks ago, but it’s owned by the same company who do Makeup Revolution. Their counters in Boots are basically a DIY stand: You pick the palette and what to fill it with, from blush and highlighter to eyeshadow and lip colours. All of the colours are really pigmented and the highlighter is so amazing it’s making me regret ever spending £24 on a Mac one.