How to survive a night out in Leicester with friends from home

‘Yeah man we have to come up to yours at some point’

You’ve been chatting about it for what feels like an eternity. Now, that drunken invitation you sent weeks ago has become a reality and the day is almost upon you.

Much like winter, your friends from home are coming. Let’s be honest – you’d rather see the White Walkers right about now. To avoid any crises during their stay, follow this essential survival guide.

Keep the invite list as small as possible

There’s nothing worse than cramming six people into a single John Foster bedroom or forcing five mates to share sofas in your sub-freezing house in Clarendon Park. Keep the numbers down to avoid unnecessary drama. If you’ve got a special somebody you met during Freshers’ in your halls, or you’re living with that nightmare introvert, bringing a load of rowdy mates from home will only provide complications.

Fix it all with a cuppa

Avoid that awkward tension between your new and old mates

You’ve just had what feels like the best six weeks your life with your new uni mates and you know fate has brought you together to unite the Midland’s / North/South divide. But friends from home are here now and they don’t get that ‘you had to be there’ joke between you and Dave from Newcastle. There’s no point trying to sidestep the fact they probably hate each other, so make sure you don’t get pissed off at your old friends and ditch them for a greasy Maryland at 3am.

Love is in the air

An inevitable for many on a uni night out, this is amplified when your mates come to town. They will show disbelief at your incredibly fit course mate who’s already friend zoned you (they don’t need to know that) or be interested in the locals which will have you physically gagging. Watch that they don’t make a move on that fresher you’ve been eyeing up for a few weeks now. Move them onto an infamous fuck boy if you’re getting sick of them.

Prepare for a huge hangover

They’ve spent £35 getting here on the train so they’re not messing about. They’ve already sunk three shots on the train and they’re ready for you to show them what Leicester has to offer. Nostalgic times come rushing back to you amidst a flurry of Jagerbombs. Memories of that one loser you got with when you were 16 or the time you threw up over your mate’s new carpet get washed down with your new favourite drinking game, and you don’t know whether to laugh or cry. They’re loving the ‘vibe’ in Shabang or Mosh, and they can’t wait for you to come visit them next month.

The Goodbye

Walking down to the train station brings you back to your last few days before leaving for uni. It’s been a rollercoaster weekend, full of ups and downs, with fuckboys, a raging hangover and last night’s Maryland. As much as you’re loving Dave’s banter, and you’ve moved on from those free periods sixth form, you ultimately wouldn’t change your mates from home for the world.