The Lanes are Leicester’s real fashion haven

Why go to Topshop when you can spend your loan on wavy garms

Maybe you need a glittery dress for that Christmas social, or some harem pants for your totally life changing trip backpacking around Thailand. Or maybe you’re staying in Leicester over Christmas and you’re fed up of wearing the same outfit as the girl sat across from you in the libs. There’s only so many times you can make awkward eye contact over your matching Topshop shirt.

Either way, The Lanes have your back. Yeah, venturing outside of the Highcross for anything except Primark can be a bit daunting – you will stick out like a sore thumb in the sea of people who actually live in Leicester and actually know where they’re going – but the vintage shops make it totally worth it. So whether it’s for that retro social or to end the matching outfit shame, here’s the best vintage shops in Leicester.

The Vintage Scene 

40 Silver Street.

How not to be basic feat. The Vintage Scene

The Vintage Scene has more denim jackets in one place that I’ve seen in my life. Upstairs they have a massive collection of American collegiate sweaters and jackets and if you’re lucky you can grab a sticker and sweets on your way out (winner).

Sue Ryder Vintage

14 Loseby Lane.

Sue Ryder has some hidden gems and the money you spend goes straight to charity. They’re also always looking for volunteers if you’re wanting some work experience.

Pink Pidgeon Vintage

17A Cank Street

Likelihood is that if you’re shopping before January you’ve almost burnt through your student loan, but obviously you still want to spend to see just how far you can push your overdraft. Pink Pidgeon is the best compromise as it does one for £10 and two for £15 on everything on the first floor.

Dollymix Vintage

17B Cank Street.

Be adventurous: buy that faux fur coat from Dollymix and wear it all over campus. How else are you going to be noticed and nominated for Leicester’s BNOC?

Now there’s no excuse to look basic in the libs.