The Leicester third floor library disaster is a metaphor for life right now

Everything is going to shit

Why has everyone just accepted the bird shit disaster on the third floor of the UOL library?

Every day I walk into David Wilson mentally psyching myself up for a long long day in the library. I confidently stride into the lifts knowing that this will be the day the unwritable essay gets written. I get out of the lifts ready to breathe in those motivational library vibes. And then I see it.

The yellow hazard tape. The warning signs. The bird shit.

This has become a metaphor for end of term life at Leicester uni.

Even the sacred third floor yellow zone can’t help me now.

My life, just the like the nice calm atmosphere of most of the third floor of the library, could be perfectly nice. Instead, it is the bird shit surrounded with bright yellow hazard tape and warning signs.

Just as throughout the day, the bird shit ambitiously falls outside the obstructive warning signs, each day I desperately try to get myself out of  hazardous deadlines and ridiculous amount of work. Instead, I just end up making more of a mess and extending the high-risk-of-a-breakdown signs around myself. I can’t even buy myself a “well done for writing 50 words in four hours” coffee from the lib cafe without having to pass it.

The worst thing of all is, some people seem to have just accepted this bizarre thing. They walk leisurely past it as if a roof window imploding with the weigh of dirt and shit is perfectly normal. Some people even chat on their phones around it (please help me understand why?) These are the people who have their lives together. They are probably on their way to hand in an essay a week before the deadline before a quick yoga session.

The shit is literally running down the wall

So, this is a desperate plea to the David Wilson Library: please fix this problem asap so I don’t have to see a visualisation of my life in my worst deadline week every day.