Over half of Leicester uni students think consent classes should be compulsory

The results are in

In a recent Tab sexual assault survey, 289 UOL respondents wanted this to change, with 53 per cent of you believing consent classes should be compulsory.

The University of Leicester does not offer compulsory or non-compulsory consent classes.

As a HeForShe impact champion University, and with the Feminist society’s popular Reclaim the Night walk fast approaching, this comes as no surprise.

However, 51 per cent of voters also think that consent classes are patronising.

The close gap between “compulsory” and “patronising” for Leicester students shows how consent classes at British Universities are a controversial topic. Last year, Warwick student George Lawlor suggested consent classes were patronising because “I already know what is and what isn’t consent. No means no.” George emphasised how he did not “Have to be taught to not be a rapist.”

Others suggested there should be no question on compulsory consent classes, suggesting classes are  “more important than your ego.” For Diyora Shadijanova, opposition towards consent classes ultimately “Isn’t stopping women getting harassed and raped.”

British universities who have openly introduced or continued classes aim “To teach the importance of respectful relationships, when consent has actually been given and the damaging effects on people’s lives when it hasn’t,” as well as cement what “consent” actually means.

Of the 15 per cent of Leicester students who have ever attended consent classes, only 3 per cent of them have ever walked out of one, suggesting obligatory consent classes may be well attended, despite over half of UOL students believing them to be patronising.

In light of the surveys findings, University of Leicester Wellbeing Officer Harriet Smailes said: “Both the Union and the university have zero tolerance policies towards harassment of all kinds – including, but of course not limited to, sexual harassment.”

She added that “There has been a piece of work conducted by the University with recommendations that we will be following through with this year,” making reference to the University’s “Involvement with the HeForShe campaign links.”

The university “will be addressing issues comprehensively and through multiple channels,” and “More information will be communicated over the coming months,”

So, are compulsory consent classes condescending or necessary? Do they patronise educated students who understand consent or do they provide assurance and clarity to those who are unsure? Will they be a waste of time and energy or do they stand as solidarity with victims of sexual assault and violence? Watch this space.