Here’s what Trump’s victory means to American students

‘We mourn today, but tomorrow we fight.’

I think everyone will remember the moment they realised he had won.

For me, it was as I checked my phone at 3am outside the Loaded Dog. The rain made my phone slip between my hands as I read the results – Florida looked certain and Ohio was declared. I’ll never forget the sinking feeling in my stomach.

Clinton, a qualified and hardworking politician, had been beaten by Trump, the accused sex abuser and business mogul.

We still don’t know exactly what this will mean for civil rights in America, for LGBT or pro-choice groups, or even for the world as a whole. But I don’t think I’m jumping to conclusions when I say the future is looking pretty bleak.

Right now, it’s not what it means for the world as a whole, but for the Americans like us: the college students who watched across the country as the results unfolded. Here’s what Trump’s victory means to them.

Christian, St. John’s University, New York

“This election represents plenty. On side you have the disgusting and fear-mongering rhetoric of Trump who capitalises on nationalism and fear to radicalise voters for him.On the other hand, however, you have Clinton – she represents the absolute worst of American politics.  This election showed the level of hate this nation still holds and brought it to light while also highlighting just how uneducated huge facets of our population are. It also showed what corruption and bipartisan rhetoric can cause.”

Maggie Fischer, Bucknell University, Pennsylvania

“While I am disheartened and sad at the outcome of this election I have been attempting to find reconciliation in the fact that, if nothing else, Trump’s unpredictable victory proves that America is a strong democracy, where every vote matters and counts. As a woman, I am scared, but as a millennial, I know I have 70 more years or so to make my voice heard and stronger. I hope Trump’s success is a rallying cry for people in this country who do not think their voice in politics has been heard. We are still a country that should stand for freedom for all people, and this is our chance to show it.”

Cody Davis, Virginia Tech, Virginia

“I think this election shows two things: we are extremely divided and the common man spoke up against the government and took the country back. It’s America’s Brexit. I’m deeply saddened by the divide and hostility among Americans. We need to come together to support President Trump.”

Zoe Weaver, The Ohio State University, Ohio

“Being 21, this was my first Presidential election I have ever voted in. While I was not entirely thrilled by my choices, I stood with Hillary Clinton. As a woman, there was just no way I could find it in my being to support our now President of the US. To say I am concerned about my future as an American would be an understatement. My heart hurts for the LGBTQ and Latino communities as well as women and children and people with disabilities. This man has openly made very rude comments about each of these groups of people, and now he is in control of our country beginning in January.”

Abby Miller, The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, North Carolina

“It’s hard to comment because I’m still in shock kind of, and I feel like I have so many different thoughts and feelings running around in my brain. I’m devastated by the outcome of the election, and I’m scared. I’m also embarrassed that this is the person the American people voted in as president. I think that this represents just how racist and sexist (etc etc) America really is. All I can hope is that his presidency only lasts a maximum of four years, and that this will motivate America to come together and move away from the legacy we’re creating for ourselves.”

Carrie, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Massachusetts 

“We mourn today, but tomorrow we fight.”