Memorial to be held at Leicester Town Hall tonight to honour Orlando victims

The event is called ‘Leicester stands with Orlando’

Leicester’s LGBTQ+ community are holding a memorial at the Leicester Town Hall square at 6:30pm this evening, in honour of the victims of the Orlando nightclub shooting. The shootings at Pulse, a gay club in Florida, saw the brutal murder of 50 people.

This comes seven months after the vigil for the victims of the Paris shootings took place, and will be held at the same location.

Leicester Cathedral also showed its commemorations today, flying a rainbow flag in respect of the victims, predominantly of the LGBTQ community, who were targets of the terrorist attack.

Condemning the attack as a “senseless act of violence”, the Leicestershire Federation of Muslim Organisations’ spokesperson, Suleman Nagdi, was quoted by the Leicester Mercury:

“It is our hope and prayer that the actions of one inhumane individual are not used by some politicians and certain sections of the media to vilify an entire community and in doing so lead to unfair and unjustified attacks on organisations and individuals.”

More information can be found on the Leicester Stands With Orlando event page on Facebook.