My single Valentine’s Day was better than any date

Who needs a significant other anyway?

It’s still easy to make the most of Valentines day even when you’re sad and single like me.

Like every Sunday, the post-Mosh hangover was a strong one but even that didn’t feel as bad as the thought of being single on Valentine’s Day made me feel. But I wasn’t going to let that ruin the lovely sunny Sunday – so I took V-day under my wing, and off my friend and I went to the place where romance blossoms: The David Wilson Library.

Don’t let V-day get you down

After a successful “study” session, we decided to have a romantic meal down in the library cafe, because nothing screams passion more then a BBQ chicken panini and a lukewarm mug of coffee.

The thought of not having to impress anyone this Valentines day was incredible. Barefaced and kitted out in our best sports hoodies and over-sized trackies we took to the kitchen. Dodging the cliché Domino’s or take-out Nando’s order, we decided to cook our own dinner.

Accompanied with a “small” amount of wine, who would pick a five star restaurant over the comfort of a Clarendon Park student house? I know I wouldn’t. Lets face it – you’ve just spent £55 to sit in an uncomfortable outfit around other awkward couples, while my friends and I spent £10 on Sainsbury’s pasta and wine and even got to dance around the kitchen singing Blur. Who are the real winners here?

Nigela Lawson eat your heart out.

What could make this Valentine’s Day even better, I hear you ask? A 300 second story snapchat of you and your friends taking full advantage of those sexy new filters, that’s what. Because let’s face it, when you and your partner do it it’s awkward as hell for all of us, so save yourself the time and hard work and don’t do it.

I’m sexy and I know it.

After eating our five star home-cooked meal, it was time to watch the sappy rom-coms. If we couldn’t get a date we thought we might as well watch fictional characters enjoying some sexual tension accompanied by a stroll through Central Park and pretend that’s us. Snuggling and scoffing our faces with cheap chocolate cake, not having to worry about having to look sexy with our food babies, and spending the day with the girls was a lot more fun than any date would ever be.

Love comes in the shape of a bottle

Who needs a lover when you can spend the night with your girls, bitching and completely embarrassing yourselves. Let’s face it, judgement went out the window when they became your friends and cleaned up your sick the second night you went clubbing with them – if that doesn’t scream love, I don’t know what does.

Then again, if this isn’t how you would prefer to spend your V-day, or if all of your friends are in happy relationships leaving you to be Billy No-mates, you can always drown your sorrows at Monday’s Quids In?