David Attenborough venue change after tickets sell out in 90 seconds

The lecture will now take place in De Montfort Hall

New tickets have been released for Sir David Attenborough’s Leicester lecture after a venue change.

450 tickets for Sir David’s lecture were made available to the public last Monday at midday, but within 90 seconds of the link going live 20,000 people had visited the site.

Since then, copious amounts of students have voiced their disappointment over missing out on the opportunity, with accusations concerning the University’s method of ticket distribution also circulating.

In response to the uproar, the University announced a change in venue: the lecture will now take place in De Montfort Hall, giving over 500 additional people the chance to hear from the loveable TV personality.

The new venue for the Lecture on Thursday 29th January.

Jim Butler, head of corporate events at the University of Leicester, told the Leicester Mercury: “We expected Sir David’s lecture to be oversubscribed but the level of excitement that his visit has generated, with over 20,000 people applying for tickets, has been astonishing.”

“We were simply overwhelmed by the level of interest.”

“The change of venue to De Montfort Hall will allow us to open up Sir David’s lecture to even more people and give them a chance to hear the lecture.”

“We also plan to hold screenings of the lecture over the coming weeks.”

The University has given students and staff the opportunity to register for tickets for the event, held on 28th January at 5pm.

Tickets will be distributed through a ballot system, with lucky applicants being drawn at random.

Applications for the additional tickets close at Midnight tonight, and succesful applicants will be informed by Tuesday.

To register for tickets for Sir David’s talk, entitled “Beauty in Nature”, click here.