We caught up with Leicester women’s football to see how their season’s going

We’re undefeated home and away

From pre-season to mid-season the hype for Varsity is building, and Leicester’s women’s football team are on their way to smashing it.

Five league games and two cup games down and ULWFC are into the quarter finals of the Midlands cup and are top of the Midlands 3B league.

Do you even lift?

Notable results include a 13-0 beasting of Nottingham Trent thirds and a tense 2-1 win against rivals DMU. League and pride intact, the team will face Trent seconds as the last match of the semester before resting those shin splints over Christmas.

Slidin’ in

Next semester will see the mighty greens face the final four league fixtures, Cambridge firsts in the Cup and of course, the all important varsity.

Captain Emma Aspinall gave her thoughts on the season so far: “I’m super pleased with the start of the season carrying on from the form we finished last season with. A good fresher intake has added to our already strong squad and they’ve all settled into the team really well, with special mentions to Emma R, Shauna and Jenna for thier great performances so far.

“Obvious highlights include the win against DMU as well as getting through to the quarter finals of the cup as well as the number of goals we’ve scored this season. It’s really great to see all the girls hard work both in and out of training paying off and I’m really proud of the way we’ve established ourself in the league and cup this year.

“Hopefully, this great form can continue into next semester where we can carry on our cup run and wrap the league up.”

Team players

The team has also been getting stuck into charity work, which is something they believe to be very important – and as a team have the ability to raise funds for worthwhile causes and raise awareness.

Last week they participated in a 12 hour football match with the MHAS, which raised over £2000 and next week the squad will be joining the Victoria Park 5K Santa Run.