How to dress for a night out in Leicester when you’re balling on a budget

You don’t have to flash the cash

We all wish it were socially acceptable to don standard student dress for a night on the tiles but sadly your UoL hoodie and joggers isn’t deemed club chic.

And when the student loan only stretches so far (particularly when you add booze and living expenses into the mix) very little is left to splash out on a new wardrobe.

But don’t fear – because we’re here with some thrifty tricks and cheats that will have you all ready to rave in no time.

The O2

Typical ‘I’m a student’ attire

If any of these looks are a doddle it’s this one. Basically think of an outfit you would wear to your mates 18th and you’re pretty much sorted. There really isn’t much fresh talent at Shabang! or LET’SDISKO.

Guys: Jeans and a t-shirt will do the job but if you don’t want to fade into the background treat us to a cheeky shirt. Go on, push the boat out.

Gals: A matching two-piece is all the rage or failing that anything that’s fun and flirty will have heads turning.

Firebug and Basement

Bellends with bongos

These places are all about individuality and alternative creative flair. You only have to look at Firebug’s walls (which look as though the entire Indie music scene threw up on them) to grasp that.

So outfit wise anything goes, be as creative as you like. No trip to Firebug is complete without someone whipping out an acoustic guitar, so it is very much a chilled and laid-back atmosphere.

Guys: Similar to the O2 jeans are a staple for guys- rolled up or rolled down there’s no judgement here.

Gals: Band print tees are abundant so to fit in with the clique, hit a charity shop and pick up the most obscure one you can get your paws on.

Basement has a similar vibe but is a tad less.. theatrical. So instead of a band tee, opt for something simple and aim for the ‘we’re all too cool to dress up’ look.

For both guys and gals DMs (Doc Martens to those who are mainstream wankers) are a cult favourite in these clubs so don your patent pair and grab a cocktail or two.

Mosh and Sophbeck

Bearded Hipster chic

Guys: If you’re just starting out on the road to Hipsterdom then invest in a pair of respected trainers- we vouch for Nike Huaraches or Roshes as they’re sturdy and can sustain a long night cutting shapes. Skinny jeans rolled up slightly at the ankle to give off that Shoreditch vibe and t-shirt are golden. Or if you want to take things to the next level a sports jersey works well too.

Gals: Crop tops and mesh are everything.The 90s has been dragged back kicking and screaming so you can’t go wrong with tattoo chokers, high-waisted leggings/pants and a crop top. For your feet, again, trainers work well. Don’t have any trainers? Its all good borrow a pair from a guy pal so long as they are the same size (worst case scenario lace them super tight so they don’t come flying off).

Republic, XY and Revs

Keeping it classy on a Saturday night

These are a couple of the only places where students will bother breaking the bank and their feet in high heels. They tend to be filled with local folk who do the most when on a night out, so don’t be afraid to match them.

Guys: A crisp shirt and jeans wont go amiss. It’s unlikely that you will get in wearing trainers so opt for a comfortable pair of dress shoes (If you’ve ever been to a job interview fellas, you should have a pair knocking about somewhere).

Gals: Standard procedure- a dress with a pair of heels will do the job. If you think you’re too tall for heels then a pair of inconspicuous flats are just the ticket. Try not to over accessorize though- it’s a club, not ladies day at the races.

Models: Eniola and Alex