I gave up all social media for a week

It was harder than giving up coffee

As a social media addict, I was challenged to go without it for a week.

I had already managed to go without Snapchat for more than seven days in the past, so I thought that Instagram, Twitter and Facebook would be a piece of cake. Little did I know how hard it would be.

Done with my Snapchat addiction

Day One: Monday

Such a fail already. I had just woken up and might have accidentally scrolled down my Facebook feed. It was an automatic thing that I couldn’t help doing as soon as I woke up. It was cool though, wasn’t gonna do that again. Then came brekkie time. A late Monday start meant more time wastage before uni. Of course, I found myself on Insta wondering what people were up to. Woops.

Day Two: Tuesday

So in our lecture we were shown a video of a poem about London Loos. It was one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen/heard. My temptation to post a snapchat video was insane.

I mean, I had to show the world what English students really study and this was my perfect missed opp.

But I couldn’t tweet it 🙁

Later in the day, I finally watched Sky One’s Desi Rascals (the Asian version of TOWIE I guess). Man did I wanna tweet how much of an idiot some of these guys were and how super cringe it was.

But I couldn’t. It cut me deep.

Wednesday

What could I do when I wanted to procrastinate and my usual way was through scrolling feeds? When I was trying to read a book for my course, but I didn’t want to? I couldn’t even stalk my friend’s brother’s girlfriend’s cousin. I couldn’t post funny stuff on snapchat. I couldn’t read random thoughts on Twitter.

I am the Dame of lame.

It occurred to me just how much time I spent on social media. I thought it would get easier by now. Nuh uh.

I actually had to make conversation with people when I was bored. People I hadn’t even messaged in a while. Awks.

She still hasn’t replied…

Day Four: Thursday

One of the easiest of the days. I had gone out to eat with a friend and I didn’t feel the need to post a food pic on my Insta, or post a selfie of the two of us. No one knew where I was and what I was doing. It was actually liberating.

But then came the evening. The pain of not being able to tweet during EastEnders live week was INSANE. The amount of funny tweets I could have posted. The amount of memes I didn’t see. I felt like I had missed out on something ma-hay-jor.

Pfft. RIP potential 100 RTs

Day Five: Friday

Not bad. I had got used to not scrolling down Instagram, checking Facebook feeds and Snapchat stories. I realised I didn’t miss Twitter unless something huge was happening.

I felt like I was being more productive rather than wasting time looking at people claiming to be MUA’s on Insta and making myself feel ridiculously insecure at all the pretty girls out there.

And I actually finished reading my books instead of sparknoteing them, win.

Day Six: Saturday

I kept busy, I made more of an attempt to talk with my family. Was all gravvy today. I realised that more people were making an effort to message me because, well, I wasn’t letting them know what I was doing every so often.

My last selfie was weeks ago

Day Seven: Sunday.

A good day again, except I baked and couldn’t post it on my Insta-blog.

Oh god the pain.

Apart from that though, while it had been a difficult week, I kinda liked not being on anything. I actually had people asking me how I was rather than them seeing so.

I wasn’t constantly wishing I looked like some stunning girl I saw on Instagram, or having the constant urge to check people’s snap stories. Also guys, Facebook is actually so boring.

It made me realise that social media can actually be full of crap sometimes and that I’m better off without.

But I don’t think I can stay completely off it just yet. Use it less? Yes.