Bomb scare: Highcross evacuated

Shoppers were evacuated for over half an hour

bomb scare highcross leicester

Unexpected shoppers had to evacuate Leicester’s popular shopping centre yesterday afternoon following a hoax call claiming a bomb was on the premises.

At around 2.40pm yesterday afternoon, thousands of shoppers and venders were informed by way of ominous sounding siren and an announcement instructing people to swiftly exit the building due to an emergency.

Highcross’s security team and police officers assisted in herding people to safety.

The alert persisted for around 35 minutes before the police confirmed that it was a false alarm.

Highcross shoppers wait outside for the all clear

It later transpired that Highcross had received a prank call about a bomb.

Food outlets in St Peter’s Square outside Highcross including Wagamamas, Turtle Bay and Nandos were also cleared.

Plates of abandoned half eaten food sitting sadly at empty tables could be seen through windows.

A lot of people even resorted to keeping warm in the neighbouring John Lewis – before being turfed out due to blocking the entrance.

Criminology second year Louise Taylor was shopping in the centre around the time of the bomb scare.

Louise said she was “annoyed and confused” at not knowing what was happening.

She added: “I was just about to buy something from H&M when the alarm went off, will have to go back another day.”

A spokeswoman for the police said: “Police were called to the Highcross at 2.41pm following a call, which has now been confirmed as being a hoax.

“The shopping centre made the decision to evacuate the area and police were on site for public reassurance.”