Youngest ever PhD student to study in the UK is to study at Leicester

It is believed she is the youngest person to ever read for a doctorate in the UK.

Eugenie de Silva, 15, currently undertaking a Master’s in Liberal Arts with a concentration in Legal Studies at Harvard is set to commence work on her PhD at Leicester in the coming academic year.

She already holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Intelligence Analysis from the American Military University, and a Master’s in Intelligence Studies with a concentration in Intelligence Analysis from the American Military University (AMU).

Originally from Manchester, though now living in Harrogate, Tennessee, she is the daughter of Professor Eugene de Silva, a professor in both Physics and Chemistry at Walters State Community College and founder of the Virginia Research Institute,

The decision was heavily influenced by the ability to study under Mark Phythian, a Professor of Politics and International Relations.

Eugenie said: “My desire to attend the University of Leicester was further fuelled by the fact that Professor Mark Phythian was a research supervisor at the University.

“During my undergraduate studies and graduate studies, I used Professor Phythian’s work in my own reports – hence, I knew attending this University would provide me with a unique opportunity to work under a specialist and expert in my chosen field.”

She added: “I am extremely excited to begin my work at the University of Leicester. After learning about the University of Leicester online, I recognized that this university was truly an academic institution focused on the upholding of high educational standards for each of its students.

“I would like to say that I am proud to be a student of the University of Leicester where a priority is placed on being “Elite Without Being Elitist”! I look forward to making long-lasting academic and social connections with others at this university.”