Sabbs promise the Union will become more open and democratic

The SU Exec team want to do everything they can to increase engagement next year.

The Students’ Union executives have acknowledged that recent campaigns and a campus wide referendum have shown that students want to have more of a say in how the SU is run and in the decisions it makes.

In a statement released this afternoon the team wished to tell students that: “your Executive Team wholeheartedly agree that whatever we can do as an organisation to increase student engagement is an extremely worthwhile exercise.”

They go on to promise that: “Next year, the SU will hold a series of all student votes throughout the year on key issues. We’re going to include them in our annual plan, written this summer, to ensure proper time is given to them and that they don’t clash with events like exams.

“We’re also currently reviewing Union Council to ensure all student voices are represented and making it easier for students not involved in that part of the union to suggest changes or submit new ideas.

“It is hoped that these changes will make the SU “more open, democratic and flexible to the needs of students.”

The announcement comes just a few days after a campus-wide referendum asking whether political bans or boycotts within the SU should be subject to a referendum before taking effect failed to receive enough votes to become valid.

The referendum received more than 1000 votes but fell short of being validated by 122 votes.

It was put forward at the end of last term when a group of students dissatisfied with the decision taken at a Union Council meeting in March decided to approve a boycott of The Sun newspaper in retail outlets due to Page 3. Less than half of the elected Union Council representatives were in attendance.

The failure of yet another attempt by the Students’ Union to engage with the student population on important issues on campus suggests that they may need to rethink the way they engage with students.

It may also be difficult for the Sabb team to live up to their promise of doing whatever they can to increase student engagement given the inconsistent advertisement of the recent referendum. A number of the exec team including Michael Rubin failed to publicise the event at all on their social media accounts, whilst others including current President Dan Flatt opted to simply retweet the Students’ Union.

Other events organised by the SU have received extensive social media interaction with the student population including the recent announcement that students will be able to spend time with puppies and obtain bubble wrap to pop to relieve exam stress.

If the Students’ Union want people to be more engaged with important issues on campus they could start by making people aware of what they are offering by publicising them.