University rankings see Leicester fall

Leicester slip back down the rankings after rising four places last year.

Statistics released by The Complete University Guide place Leicester as the 19th best university in the UK.

Despite increasing graduate prospects and an improving overall score Leicester has fallen three places in the independent ranking from last years performance.

The university had seen entry requirements reach an average of 411 UCAS points and a score of 4.2 for student satisfaction. These have now fallen to 400 and 4.12 respectively.

The quality of research carried out by the university has been maintained and graduate prospects have increased to 71.5. The overall score has risen to 815 of an available 1000.

Unsurprisingly, we score the lowest in research assessment. That might be something do with the perfect cup of tea, of Spiderman’s goo, or Batman’s wings, or the giant cannibal rats, or even Noah’s ark…

Though the student satisfaction scores have fallen, they are based on the quality of teaching rather than overall satisfaction with the university experience. That means recent dissatisfaction with the actions of the SU are not likely to have been taken into account and may not truthfully reflect the overall satisfaction with the student experience.

These results suggest that last year’s announcement from outgoing VC Sir Bob Burgess, in which it was hoped that Leicester would become an established top 10 university and rank within the top 150 world institutions by 2015, has failed to come to fruition.