Ex-Presidential Candidate to appear in court over ‘hate crimes’

Leicester student activist on trial accused of “#CopsOffCampus” ‘hate crime’ towards ex-cop security-guard.

Alistair Robinson, a presidential candidate in the recent sabbatical elections, is to appear in court today charged with “hate crimes”.

Robinson, 24, was arrested in February while supporting a picket-line at the University of Leicester, almost two months after an alleged assault where he is reported to have elbowed a security guard.

Students protest to defend of education.

The alleged clash took place in December during a sit-in at the University of Leicester, calling for fair pay for staff at the university.

Mr Monks, Head of Security at the university and the security-guard making the accusation, has previously had a long career in the police, reaching the rank of Sergeant before becoming Chairman of the Leicestershire Police Federation.

Robinson was arrested just three days after it emerged he had been nominated to run for Student’s Union President in the University of Leicester Sabbatical elections.

At a bail-hearing on the 21st of February, Robinson was informed by the Crown Prosecution Service prosecutor that the CPS had made a recommendation to police that the case be discontinued due to a lack of evidence. But last week the police announced they would continue with the case.

Advice circulated on Twitter before December’s ‘Cops off campus’ protest in London

The hearing is today at 2pm.