David Attenborough: Cherish the natural world, because you depend on it

David Attenborough answered the weird and wonderful questions posed by users of the worlds premier open forum, reddit.

AMA David Attenborough reddit

Broadcaster and naturalist, David Attenborough, took to the site to answer his fans burning questions.

For those of you unfamiliar with reddit, it has become the internet’s favourite forum for people to talk about and post links to interesting things they have found on the web.

Their ‘AMA’, or “Ask Me Anything”, section  has proven very popular with users of the site after many of their favourite celebrities log on for an hour to answer their questions. Last week, former campus resident and honorary graduate of the University of Leicester, David Attenborough did just that.

It was an unrivalled opportunity for fans to share their questions and, in some cases, ‘fanmail’ with the documentary maker and that’s just what they did.

Wild. A watercolour by one reddit user.

Of course the ability to speak directly to the world foremost expert on animals did represent an opportunity to ask some less sensible questions and post some funny comments, most of which Attenborough replied to.

One user, “smasherella”, commented: “I hate every ape I see, from Chimpan-A to Chimpanzee”. Hilarious.

How could you hate that?

Further down the lengthy conversation, “ObscureEnigmatic” asked Attenborough: “Sir David, what kind of shampoo and conditioner would I have to buy to keep my hair looking as good as yours for when I’m older?” I don’t think anyone could have predicted his reply, or even thought that he would reply. But he did.

His response. “Ill sell you a wig.”

However, one of the funniest things to take place during the hour long discussion was a series of users creating a Fresh Prince-style rap for the presenter.

His response to some of the less serious questions prompted people to think that they weren’t actually talking to Sir David Attenborough. He quickly issued proof.

On a more serious note, one person using the screen name “GingerbreadHouses”, prompted Attenborough to reveal the most distressing thing that has seen in his long film-making career. They asked: “I remember feeling absolutely heartbroken watching the elephant calf die in Africa. What has been your most distressing/upsetting moment in your career?”

Attenborough replied: “Seeing chimpanzees kill monkeys, they do this to eat them. They chase them, set an ambush, catch them, and tear them apart.”

Other users asked questions about the ethics of zoos and wildlife parks, with Sir David replying: “There are some animals which have been kept happily in captivity, most of them are very small with small requirements. Big animals, unfortunately can’t be kept in captivity satisfactorily- predators most of all.”

In answer to the question: “In all your time of shooting nature programs, what is the most human thing you have ever witnessed an animal do?” Attenborough replied: “A chimpanzee does in fact tell lies….when some Colobus monkeys find a very precious piece of food, it calls the alarm call that it would make if a snake were to arrive, and all the other monkeys run away and it gets the food.” You can almost read the answers in his voice.

He even posted a teaser of his latest documentary, linking fans to a screenshot. The project is expected to be on our screens at Christmas this year.

He also posted a short video, made specially from his Q&A session.