Reverend and The Makers surprise Beaumont students

Students had an hour to get a crowd together for the impromptu gig.

Indie pop group Reverend and The Makers performed a surprise gig at Beaumont Hall last night after one lucky student won a competition.

Jon McClure with the crowd at Beaumont. Photo courtesy of Niall Canavan.

George, a first year History and Politics student, won a competition run by the band on their Twitter page.

This is the moment George found out he had won and had one and one and a half hours to get a crowd together.

He told The Tab: “it was unbelievable, they travelled all the way to Leicester from Sheffield to play the gig and we only had  2 hours to organise a crowd”.

Jon McClure and Ed Cosens of Reverend and The Makers. Photo courtesy of Niall Canavan.

“They said they’d arrive for 10pm and I only found out at around 9, it was a push to get a big crowd. I think there were over 100 people packed into the stairwell in the end, it was a really good turn out.”

George Miller and Reverend and The Makers. Photo courtesy of Niall Canavan.

“They’re just such a good act, it was like a dream come true. They got everyone involved, people were singing along even if they didn’t know the words…it was incredible.”

“My friends and I had so many people getting in touch with us asking if they could come along, I was just taken aback. I said yes to them all, I mean who wouldn’t…it didn’t really bother me. I was just glad that people enjoyed it”, said George.

Reverend and The Makers. Photo courtesy of Niall Canavan.

George added: “We even had some people cancel their stag do to come and watch the band play, it must have been a slightly different night to the one they’d planned.”

The band even signed a guitar for one of George’s friends, Liam Sanders.

Liam Sanders with his signed guitar. Photo courtesy of Niall Canavan.

His final comments were: “I didn’t even bother going to lectures today. I woke up and felt like my life was complete.”

Reverend and The Makers have also played surprise gigs in Leeds and Hull.