The Super 2’s will win 112:7

Mens Rugby chat with The Tab about what the coming season has in store.

Mens Rugby are confident they will be able to smash DMU at Varsity once again and Social Secs, Dan Hughes and Sam Pickett have a whole load more to say!

Following in much the same vein as the university’s Womens’ Rugby Club, the Mens side believe that they can dominate DMU and cruise to victory in both the 1st and 2nd team matches. When we spoke to them, just before Freshers, they gave us score predictions for the two matches. Dan Hughes and Sam Pickett said: “for the 1st’s I think 34-10, a comfortable victory; and for the super 2’s, 112:7.” Both comprehensive winning margins, let’s hope they can deliver!

They are equally as confident about their league performance this year: “We have a strong team despite losing some key talent at the end of last year, the freshers will help to reinforce some of the key positions as well. It’s all good.”

Social secs, Sam Pickett and Dan Hughes

It’s not all smiles when it comes to the league though, the 1st and 2nd teams are in the same league after a BUCS mix up at the end of last season. The prospect of having to play the 2nd team has got Sam Pickett feeling “pumped”. The matches will undoubtedly be tough encounters.

For the freshers that have joined the club and been part of the Rugby experience for the last few weeks it will have been a blur especially when it comes to Wednesday night and Thursday. Rugby are one of the most social clubs on campus and their socials are known across the university, but why are they better than every other group’s?

“There’s a family feeling, a camaraderie that runs through the teams. It makes everyone feel at home and at ease whether it’s on or off the pitch. As soon as you join the club you’ll have 60 or 70 new friends and they’re people that you’ll stay friends with even after you graduate.”

Dan Hughes said: “You can’t normally choose your family; but in this case, you can.”

The Tab’s new signing, Dan Hughes

What’s more, the pair have already planned the majority of the socials for the term, taking their inspiration from a long list of inherited socials but also coming up with some new ideas.

Enough about the socials. There is one word that is considered taboo amongst sports clubs…tour. “What happens on tour, stays on tour”, so the saying goes. What can Freshers expect if they go on the mysterious adventure?

“An unforgettable, magical experience” said the pair. “Freshers will definitely enjoy the tour more than those in other years. I don’t know if it’s because it’s all new or what, but that’s definitely the feeling that you get” said Dan.

Quickly changing the subject back to varisty, the pair were keen to tell us what it’s like to play for the club on the biggest game day of the year.

“It’s different” they said. “Your experience depends on what team you’re in but it will always be enjoyable. The evening game is tiring and you’re nervous all day, it’s a difficult feeling to explain unless you’ve experienced it. If you play for any of the other teams you’ll have enjoyed yourself out by the time it comes to the 1st team game at Welford Road. It’s just a really fun day.”

The club have already had success this year in their BUCS league, with the 1st team beating Lincoln 1st’s 41-0 at home last week. Their next game is against the super 2’s next Wednesday. You can follow the team on Twitter here.