We’re going to make them cry again

Women’s Rugby speak to The Tab about what the year has in store, including Varsity against DMU…

Women’s Rugby had a very successful year in 2012/13 academic year finishing second in the league, narrowly missing out on promotion in the last game of the season.

This year, they’re back and they’re ready to win. The Tab caught up with three of the team.

Di Carter, Alex Bugg and Lucy Middleton are three ladies that are confident in the team’s ability. Having just missed out on the top spot in the league last year they’re back for more and believe they have a good chance of winning the treble.

They said: “last years final game was an emotional rollercoaster, players were picking up injuries left right and center and the weather was changing all the time. Just about the only thing we didn’t have was snow.”

They’ll be playing in the Midlands 2B league this year and their closest rival will be Warwick 1st’s. The other teams include Lincoln, Coventry and Harper Adams.

“We want to make them cry”

With the season just around the corner at the time of the interview, the team were in the middle of their preseason training so we asked them how the team was looking. Both Di and Alex told us they were sad to see some of the front row graduate last year but that “the focus is team development. The team we have is very competitive and strong. If we had to put a team out tomorrow we could.”

When the questions turned to Varsity the complexion changed, like i’d just mentioned something wonderful.

Their eyes lit up and it was plain to see how hungry they were to make sure they beat DMU for the 11th straight year.

“Last years performance was satisfying, to beat DMU 10 times in a row is something really special. If we could make it 11, it would be amazing.

“We want to make them cry again.”

A true thrashing

So what’s Varsity day like for the team? There was a short pause, after which all three women harmoniously answered, “Amazing”.

“You’re treated like superstars and God’s for the entire day” said Alex.

Di added “you have to remember that you’re there to do a job though, you’re playing at Welford Road in front of a couple of thousand people and it’s easy to get carried away. You just have to stay focused. You can enjoy yourself after the match.”

Red Leicester is often frequented by the Women’s Rugby team, who try and dress up as much as they can, but why are their socials better than any other groups?

Almost immediately, Lucy states “because of the fancy dress. The team like to get creative with costumes and outfits for their socials, as well as incorporating various games.” Di also suggested that having two great social secs is a key part of the teams off pitch antics, they organise the socials and pick the theme, effectively creating the atmosphere.

Tab’s new signings

“It’s not all about drinking though. Before Varsity the club is on a drinking ban so we organise loads of sober socials. They aren’t just a pre-varsity thing though, we organise curry socials, days out to Leicester Tigers and have even given the team a Guard of Honor” added the ladies.

To wrap up the interview we asked, what is the best part of the club? All three team members answered “the family emphasis and the fact that the friends you make in the club and on the team really are friends for life.

It’s one of the most attractive aspects of the club, everyone gets on so well and the atmosphere is really friendly.” Di added, “it’s also a great way to relieve stress. If you’re het up about work or something’s gone wrong, there’s no better feeling than being able to walk about on to the Rugby pitch and make a huge tackle. It’s kinda therapeutic.”

Women’s Rugby… Varsity Champions 10 years in a row

Women’s Rugby are currently having taster sessions for anyone interested in playing for the team or getting fit.

You can find them on Facebook here.