Leicester secure DMU bargain

Leicester buys DMU city-centre site for a knockdown price but won’t say what it’ll be used for

The University of Leicester has purchased DMU’s former Charles Frears Campus for £2 million less than the originally marketed price.

The London Road site was secured by the University of Leicester for a bargain £2.9 million, significantly less than the original £5 million asking price.

The new location is very close to campus

While the building is in very close proximity to the main University campus and would be ideal as a halls of residence, the University says the building is to be used for educational purposes (though they were unable to provide details.)

Leicester’s Robert Burgess outside Brookfield House

The Vice-Chancellor, Robert Burgess, said the “acquisition is a key part of our £1 billion development plan”, adding it’s important the “physical attributes of the university reflect its world-class research and teaching”.

Brookfield House, pictured above, has old links to the University having been owned by the principal benefactor of the University, Thomas Fielding Johnson.

De Montfort University’s director of estates, David Carrott has expressed his satisfaction with the agreed price despite not receiving the amount originally asked.

Local residents are also happy at the sale with the Stoneygate Conservation Area Society saying that they “it’s pleasing it will remain for teaching purposes”, having nearly been sold for housing development.