Remembering Storm Thorgerson

Leicester graduate, Storm Thorgerson, designer of album covers for bands such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Biffy Clyro, has died aged 69. Thorgerson, who graduated with a degree in […]

Leicester graduate, Storm Thorgerson, designer of album covers for bands such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Biffy Clyro, has died aged 69.

Thorgerson, who graduated with a degree in English and Philosophy in 1966 went on to design some of the most iconic album covers of the twentieth and twenty first centuries.

Thorgerson was the man behind the designs above; Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon and Biffy Clyro’s Puzzle as well as helping to design drum and bass group Pendulum’s Immersion album cover.

Pink Floyd released a statement on their website saying “We are saddened by the news that long-time Pink Floyd graphic genius, friend and collaborator, Storm Thorgerson, has died.”

The Alumnus, deemed ‘the best designer in the world’ by science fiction writer Douglas Adams, also designed the cover for the 2008 Graduates’ Review, the annual alumni magazine from the University of Leicester.

The University of Leicester Alumni Association has expressed their sadness over the loss of this talented and much celebrated artist. People have also been paying their tributes to Thorgerson on social network Twitter, using #RIPstormthorgerson.

Everyone here at The Tab Leicester would like to say, quite simply, thank you Storm.