University of Leeds ranked first in the UK for eradicating poverty

The Times Higher Education 2021 impact rankings table was released on International Day for the Eradicadication of Poverty

The Times Higher Education’s World University Rankings has placed the University of Leeds as 1st in the UK for the Eradication of Poverty.

Leeds placed seventh globally out of 591 universities worldwide. Only two other UK universities made the top 10 list (the University of Sussex and the University of Exeter ranked joint 10th).

The Times Higher Education Impact Rankings reviews the efforts of 1,118 universities from 94 different countries/regions in fulfilling the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals set for 2030, the first of which is the “eradication of poverty in all its forms everywhere”.

This international “no poverty” ranking used factors such as research, stewardship, outreach and teaching conducted at various institutions to assess universities’ efforts to combat poverty, both within their student population and local communities.

The international leader was Queen’s University, Canada, scoring 90.1, closely followed by U.S universities South Florida (87.4) and Arizona State (87.1). The University of Leeds placed the highest in Europe and the highest in the UK with a score of 84.4.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• University of Leeds ranked 15th in Sunday Times Good University Guide

• Leeds is OFFICIALLY the most fun city to be a student in 

• Extinction Rebellion activists pretend to be dead on Leeds Uni campus