Canopy to be built over Merrion Street to create summer ‘festival’

Bars will unite to host the month-long event starting in April

Merrion bars and restaurants unite to create Leeds’ largest outdoor venue by building a massive roof across Merrion Street.

City centre bars and restaurants are creating Leeds’ biggest outdoor hospitality venue as they prepare to re-open for street service on April 12th. It will be in place from April 12th to welcome outdoor customers until May 17th, the potential date for indoor service to resume.

The covering will be built above the city centre’s Merrion Street, canopying Manahatta, MOJO, Verve, Mean Eyed Cat, Roxy Ball Room, Yard & Coop, Zaap Thai and Liv Bar. Venues will trade as part of the festival from Wednesdays through to Sundays.

The 50m canopy is designed to shelter 200 people. Described as “a place to meet with friends in a safe, fun and sheltered space”, the transformation will strongly resemble the Merrion Street Festival Leeds saw in 2020.

Walk-ins are welcome, but customers are encouraged to book beforehand. The Merrion street website is currently taking bookings for the event. It says:

“The bars and restaurants of Merrion Street have joined forces to install a roof the full length of the street to create the city’s largest outdoor area for hospitality.

“Meet with friends in a safe, fun and sheltered space, whilst still enjoying all the best that the street has to offer.

“It’s time for five weeks of great music, great food and great drinks from 12th April to the 17th May.”