Leeds MPs helped bring Hyde Park teenage gang to justice

Hilary Benn, Rachel Reeves and Alex Sobel all played their part

Leeds MPs and councillors played their part in bringing the teenagers who terrorised Hyde Park this weekend to justice.

Hilary Benn MP, Rachel Reeves MP and Alex Sobel MP worked with police officers, councillors and children’s services this weekend to bring an end to the muggings and robberies that blighted Hyde Park, Burley and the surrounding area.

Four teenagers aged between 13 and 15 were eventually arrested on Monday in connection with 20 offences which mostly took place between Friday and Sunday.

Jake Moran

Before the public were made aware of their arrests, Jake Moran wrote to MPs and Councillors asking for them to do their bit to end the chaos.

The letter called for the perpetrators to be brought to justice and for increased police patrols in the area.

Leeds-based MPs and Councillors were quick to respond to Jake’s letter.

Hillary Benn MP wrote: “I am contacting the Chief Superintendent in charge of the Leeds police to ask for a response on the action that his officers are taking to catch those responsible.”

A representative of Rachel Reeves MP wrote: “Rachel is aware of what has been happening and is already liaising with the local police, Kirkstall councillors and Children’s Services.

“We are also in regular contact with Alex Sobel’s office, who are also in touch with the Headingley and Hyde Park councillors. ”

Jake was very pleased with the response he received extending his gratitude to the MPs and Councillors who responded.

Jake told The Leeds Tab: “I hope that police presence will continue in the area to protect our student community, as well as our vulnerable, elderly and families.

“I am delighted that the issue has been taken seriously and finally brought to an end- standing up for your community and protecting those around you works!”

Related Stories recommended by this writer:

• BREAKING: Four teenagers arrested in connection with over 20 offences this weekend

• Machete-wielding teenagers terrorise Leeds student areas

We asked Leeds students if Roger Stevens is ‘pretty’, and the response was alarming