Leeds Beckett insist halls fire exit locked with cable ties is ‘not a fire exit’

Despite it having a sign on it, saying ‘fire exit’

Yesterday, pictures emerged of a fire escape that had seemingly been locked with cable ties at IQ Marsden (a private hall of residence catering for any Leeds-based students).

When asked why the fire escape was locked, a spokesperson for IQ said they are investigating the matter, leaving others to speculate if the measure was coronavirus-related.

Fire crews from West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service attended the site and resolved the issue.

A spokesperson for Leeds Beckett University took to Twitter and denied the image depicted a locked fire exit…despite the fact a sign on the gate clearly reads, “Fire Exit.”

IQ Student Accommodation responded to this tweet and said: “Safety’s our priority. We’re investigating the matter & confirm the ties are removed.”

A spokesperson for IQ Student Accommodation told The Leeds Tab: “Student safety is our highest priority. We are investigating how this happened.

“ The gate is one of several escape routes from the building and is 2m away from an escape route through reception, which is staffed around the clock.

“ We have immediately increased the regular checks we make on all exits.”