Your ultimate guide to ‘eat out to help out’ in Leeds

Who knew discounted pizza could make you such a hero

Money off a meal out? Yes please, Rishi Sunak. The newly introduced ‘eat out to help out’ scheme offers customers a discount worth up to £10 per head when they eat out on soft drinks and food, from Monday to Wednesday in August.

The full list of participating restaurants can be found on this government webpage, but we have compiled a list of the best places to go out to eat for an absolute bargain in Leeds.

Opposite Café, LS2 9HD

Opposite is opposite the Parkinson building, and we know it for it’s great coffee and lunch options. They’ve also recently introduced some delicious looking vegan options.

View this post on Instagram

Still flying through these bad boys! When we designed our new menu we based these on the wholefood plant-based diet. If you've not read "How Not To Die" by Michael Greger yet do it! He's a bit of a legend here 🙏 . None of us eat enough fibre these days so our brown rice, quinoa and green lentil base was concocted to provide lots of fibre and a good balance of more compete proteins that us veggies can often miss out on. . All our buddha bowls have a portion of beans in some form too – spiced roast chickpeas in this one. . Finally there's always some pickled veg, loads of raw or roasted veg and some tasty dressings. The point of a buddha bowl is optimising your health after all! . Available at both our shops and on @deliveroo 😊🥦😊🥑😊🥕😊 . . . . #buddhabowl #healthyfood #cleaneating #wfpb #wholefoodplantbased #leedsfood #vegansofleeds #chapelallerton #universityofleeds #leedsstudents #northleeds @nutrition_facts_org @michaelgregermd

A post shared by Opposite (@oppositecafe) on

Fettle, LS1 3BR

Fettle is the perfect spot in town for a fancy brunch which would usually cost half your student loan. Fettle are participating in ‘eat out to help out’, so now is the perfect time to give it a try.

Lux Vegan Cakes, LS4 2HQ

If these cakes don’t make your mouth water then something is wrong. Lux Vegan Cakes is located in Kirkstall and do the most incredible vegan bakes which are now irresistibly cheap.

Assembly Underground, LS1 3AL

Located in town, Assembly Underground houses Falafel Guys, Slap and Pickles, the Pizza Authority, and Bread&Butter BBQ which all look absolutely delicious.

View this post on Instagram

Keen to #EatOutToHelpOut? With a city full of fabulous food at your fingertips (say, for example, our very own @falafelguysuk), we don’t blame you! From Monday-Wednesday throughout August, they and their fellow traders @breadbutterbbq @slapandpickles and @thepizza_authority will be offering 50% off dine-in food, making it even more tempting to much your way through the entire menu. We open at 5pm this evening and there’s no need to book – just turn up and let our door and table staff explain our ‘new normal’ to you as you kick back and remember just how great it is to be out and about 😎🔥👌🏻 • • • #eatouttohelpout #falafel #assemblyunderground #leeds #leedsfood #leedsfoodie #eatleeds #outinleeds #thefeedfeed #leedsindependents #leedsindiefood #leedsleedsleeds #leedslife #halloumi #leedsfoodblogger

A post shared by Assembly Underground (@assemblyunderground) on

Hyde Park Book Club, LS6 1BL

We know it, we love it, and their food and soft drinks are available for discount under Rishi’s new scheme. With the discount, you can get a vegan sausage roll for £1.35 and a flat white for £1.35.

View this post on Instagram

It’s the FIRST DAY! 🥳🌈☕️ Today marks the first day of the Gov’s #eatouttohelpout scheme, which means your flat white or latte is halved in price every Monday-Wednesday until the end of August. Not only coffee, but all our food and other non-alcoholic drinks too! Remember to support your locals, as they’re the ones that need this the most, and always do you the best coffee ☕️ 😉 P.s….exciting food announcement imminent…🤫 • • • • • • • • • • • • #hydeparkbookclub #leeds #hydepark #coffee #beer #venue #independentvenue #books #gigs #music #leeds #leedsmusicscene #leeds #jazz #indie #newmusic #flowers #plants #vegan #vegetarian #leedsuni #leedsbeckett #yorkshire #records #vinyl

A post shared by Hyde Park Book Club (@hydeparkbookclub) on

Alchemist, Greek St, LS1 5SH

Everyone knows the Alchemist for their fun cocktails which are unfortunately not included in the scheme, but the food at the alchemist is also to die for. It’s great for an evening meal out, and the sort of place where you just want to try everything on the menu.

Tattu, LS1 5PS

Always a great choice for a date night or birthday meal out. Normally she’s a little out of our modest student price range, but ‘eat out to help out’ makes the food (and fiat 500 energy insta pics in front of the blossom tree) a little more attainable.

McDonald’s

Okay, everyone knows McDonald’s is included in ‘eat out to help out’, but it is our duty to inform you so no one misses out on small hours nuggets or maccies breakfast after a night of drinking in the lounge.

Box, Headingley, LS6 2AD

Box always does great food which you can now enjoy for 50% off over a full priced pint. 12pm till 5pm, Monday to Friday, Box does a £5 lunch deal, which is basically free with the new discount. They have veggie, vegan, gluten free and dairy free options so fun to had for all the family.

Pizza Land and Grill House, LS6 1HR

One of the only takeaway options offering Sunak’s scheme, but still a great option if you’re Hyde Park, fancy a tasty bargain, and can’t be bothered to do the washing up.

The Cat’s Pyjamas, LS6 3AB

The Cat’s Pyjamas in Headingley offers an amazing selections of ‘Indian street food and craft beer’. They’re closed on Mondays, but you can take advantage of the food and soft drinks discount on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Head of Steam

We’re pretty excited about this one, and there’s two Head of Steams in town and one in Headingley. Their menu includes pizzas, kebabs, burgers, and nachos, and Rishi’s discount means you can get a proper dinner for about a fiver.

The scheme is running until the end of August, so take advantage whilst you still can and grab a dish on Rish (sorry).