Leeds could return to lockdown as coronavirus infection rate trebles

The seven day infection rate has risen to 13.3 per 100,000

In Leeds, the coronavirus infection rate has trebled in only a week.

Early last week, the seven day infection rate stood at 4.1 cases per 100,000 people, but by  yesterday, that rate had climbed to 13.3 per 100,000 people.

This comes after local lockdown measures were recently introduced in Greater Manchester and parts of West Yorkshire.

In a statement, Leeds City Council said: “Measures will be continually monitored over the coming days and further steps may need to be considered in light of new data.”

Councillor Judith Blake, leader of Leeds City Council and chair of the Leeds Outbreak Control Board, told The Sun: “There has been some excellent work across Leeds these past few months which, together with a tremendous sense of community spirit, has ensured we have stayed ahead of the virus.

“With some restrictions now being relaxed, it’s more important than ever that we keep doing everything we can collectively and individually to take care of ourselves, our communities and our city.

“Our outbreak planning has meant we’ve been able to identify these clusters early and intervene quickly, so it’s our hope that by working closely with people living in these areas, we can manage and contain these cases and prevent a wider outbreak.

“But we can’t do that alone and it’s absolutely imperative that residents play their part.”

It was just last Friday that hundreds attended a rave in Hyde Park, failing to adhere to social distancing.

West Yorkshire Police responded with statement in which they said if similar events occur, “sound systems will be seized.”

The Police told The Leeds Tab: “Given we have only just seen further restrictions imposed upon parts of West Yorkshire, I would urge people to use their common sense and think about their own safety and the safety of others during these unprecedented times.”

Featured Image: SWNS (stock photo)