Leeds United’s Norman Hunter has died of coronavirus

He was part of England’s 1966 World Cup-winning squad

Leeds United have announced this morning that Norman Hunter has died after testing positive for coronavirus. He was taken to hospital last week after being diagnosed with COVID-19, but sadly passed away this morning.

Hunter joined the team aged 15, and played 726 matches in all competitions for the club. After he left Leeds in 1976, Hunter went on to play for Barnsley and Bristol City, then managed Rotherham and the Tykes before retiring.

In a statement released by Leeds, the team said: “Leeds United are devastated to learn of the passing of club legend Norman Hunter at the age of 76.

“He leaves a huge hole in the Leeds United family, his legacy will never be forgotten and our thoughts are with Norman’s family and friends at this very difficult time.”

They described Hunter as “remaining part of the furniture at Elland Road throughout the years.”

As well as winning two league titles during a 14-year first-team career at Elland Road, Hunter was part of Sir Alf Ramsey’s 1966 World Cup-winning squad.

Between 1965 and 1974, he made 28 appearances for England. In 1974, Hunter was also the first winner of the PFA Players’ Player of the Year.

England have since commemorated Hunter’s career on their twitter page.

Hunter was known for his tough-tackling centre-back position, earning himself the nickname “Bites Yer Legs.” On April 10th, he was admitted to hospital after testing positive for the disease.

He died just a week later at 76 years of age.

Featured image via @England on Twitter.